OEM Installs - Will they last?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by syzygy, Oct 8, 2009.

1. syzygy

syzygy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    I've just installed 7 Ultimate on my computer using clean install and it is fully OEM activated with access to Windows Update etc… It’s fantastic.

My question is will Microsoft likely find a way to shut down these ‘permanent activation’ OEM installs doing the rounds or is that an unlikely process? Is this really worth doing on your main PC and can it be relied on ‘permanently’ as many uploaders/advocates of this suggest? Or is there always the chance that Microsoft will cull these activations and we’ll be forced to reinstall?

2. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    NOBODY can answer that Question, except Microsoft.

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #3 FreeStyler, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Bullseye...Lol.

5. syzygy

syzygy MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    lol just read that thread, thanks for the link ;)

so i guess its a case of on the 22nd we'll know either way... though i don't see why if OEM was being 'blacklisted' they'd wait till 22nd.. They could do it anytime so I find that unlikely.

6. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Well.. i'm on a dell laptop.. and installed dell oem.. let's see what happens..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes they will last, they will last as long as official OEM_SLP2.1 licenses are sold.
    I guess there will be some difficulties.
    You probably have to exchange the key.
    You probably have to exchange the SLIC (OEM need to match).
    We probably need to change some mod technique.
    We probably will lose activations temporarily.
    We probably have to do nothing.....

I don't know, but I guess they will last, I'm optimistic.

I've started to mod bioses at March 2007. Vista was already released.
    At SP1 release date, people feared about OEM activation. Nothing happened.
    At SP2 release date, people feared about OEM activation. Nothing happened.
    At W7 release date, people feared about SLP3.0. Nothing special happened, but a weak update to SLP2.1
    At official W7 release date, people fear about OEM activation. ??????? special will happen.

You may replace the question marks.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Please use the thread given by FreeStyler. We need to unclog the forums not clog them up.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The link given by freestyler links to a closed thread. Ancestor(v) had to close it. Obviously some members are not able to discuss decently.

Anyway there is necessity to discuss about that matter. Why else this thread about was started again?

Let it run and if rules become broken, react adequately.

10. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Thinking about it it was like talking to wilma the msn bot ask something get a lame answer always going around the question no answer

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, simply because there is no answer. (To us).
    This I want to make clear. I'm no fortune-teller. I guess nobody of us....I just wrote my opinion and some facts.;)

12. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Yes, we just have to wait. If something happems, we will find a way:cool:

13. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    For those that are concerned/worried about MS deactivating their copy of W7 RTM, simply turn off Windows Updates until the dust settles and answers are found out.

If people who were running the RCs they weren't getting Windows Updates anyway, so no big deal.

14. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    QFT. He is right, if you are paranoid either install updates offline (plenty of threads around about people releasing 'windows update packs'), or don't install them. If you don't update Windows then they can't do anything can they? Look it took an update for Vista to make it not activate frankenbuild methods. Then I think it took another update to get the paradox loader to stop.

15. Johny23

Johny23 MDL Member

Sep 3, 2009
    #15 Johny23, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Just wait a few more days and we'll see but in my opinion there is nothing to worry about. bios mod ftw :D

17. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #17 Brainsuck, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Let's end here yes, please. And I did enjoy.:)