OEM Key used on Non-OEM iso

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Deleted member 222776, Feb 7, 2017.

Hello,

I have a laptop that was bought with a licence of Windows 8.1 Pro. It has a COA label with licence key hardcoded in BIOS.
    These came with an HP DVD of Windows 8.1 Pro OEM filled with HP software and other crap.

I downloaded some msdn windows 8.1 pro images.

Is it OK to use an OEM key on non-OEM images? Like OEM key on VL images, or OEM on standard images?
    Will I have any legal issues with it (like microsoft audit team, or others) ?

My oem key activates on both standard images as well as vl images (but activates as OEM of course).

Thank you

1. Yes but it doesn't really answer my question.
    Windows is already activated using the OEM key. Everything is OK. I'm only wondering if there are any legal issues of using a different ISO than the one supplied by manufacturer.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik normal 8.1 iso's can't readout the oem:Dm bioskey so that's why i advised to use the MRP files to modify the Win 8.1 Multiple Editions ISO (MSDN Retail) to be able to automatically readout and use the key combined with the correct certificates.

I believe that manually entering the oem:Dm bioskey without installing the appropriate certificates won't activate windows.

All MSDN iso's can be downloaded at the top link in my signature.

As far as other iso's will work, if the setup accepts the key, it's legal, but keep in mind, only entering the oem:Dm key won't work/activate.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And now please answer the OP's question instead of stalking me?

5. doubtfire

doubtfire MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2015
    If you were to preserve the OEM key, does it only work with other "Pro" editions?

And is that method posted above technically legal?

6. 8bitp

8bitp MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2014
    As far as I know this procedure is legal for the Standard Edition. You can even download a Windows 8.1 Pro Version at the following Microsoft Page without entering a License-Key:

https microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

... and activating a Computer with an embedded OEM:SLP Key without entering a Key during the Setup.

I don't think this will also work with a VL Edition ISO or any other Edition, because the Version specific License-Key is "hardcoded" inside the MSDM Table.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #10 Flipp3r, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Thank you guys for your valued input.