OEM KEY valid for Retail &Volume Editions ?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kETE, May 3, 2009.

1. kETE

kETE MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    #1 kETE, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Hello everybody ,

I am new here as a member , but i have few days viewing this forum , i see it very interesting and i have a question for my issue

I have asus laptop , run vista business oem , i have sticker with its key ,

Humm , i always like vista w/spX to be installed as clean install , because i have some troubles with my laptop after upgrading to sp1 , and it didn't solved when i install sp2 , my boot take too much time , it was very fast with sp0 , so i think it will be better if i check if this problem will be solved when i do clean install for vista w/sp1 or sp2

Ok , so my main question is , can i use my oem key with retail version i have downloaded , or maybe it should be volume edition so i should download business vloume dvd not ulitmate dvd ( with retail business ) ?

Thank you

Edit : I have seen in another forum many users post that oem key will work with retail version , not volume not VLK, don't know :confused:

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    just download vista sp2 posted elsewhere on this forum it contains all versions of vista and read thread on how to make OEM vista dvd.

3. kETE

kETE MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    Thanks all for your reply

I already know about the post how to make your own OEM edition from retail vista dvd

but my question is if i can active it without any file integrated , just by my OEM key , there is another forum said retail dvd will accept your OEM key

i don't care about OEM logos,support info , etc...

many thanks again :)

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You need the cert for ASUS installed to the new OS. Whether you integrate it to the disc, or install it later with slmgr is up to you..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kETE

kETE MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    Thanks , did it with my asus laptop , i have now ultimate insted of business :) LOL

but i have problems with my dell laptop , vostro 1400

i see there is an editions form vostro 1400 have vista oem and xp oem , so i beleive it support cert , but i cant find it

can anyone help me with it?

ps: my vostro 1400 came without any OS

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    can't you download bios from dell for xp and vista

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If you are looking for the cert, try the 39 certs link at the top of all slics-tested and not tested..Sticky:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ 911medic, i believe these vostro 1400 machine the one that come's with no OS won't have SLP or SLIC in the bios. I may be wrong kETE may have to use the service tag tool.

9. kETE

kETE MDL Novice

May 3, 2009
    #10 kETE, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    (OP)
    how i can know my bois info , if i can use an app to give you a report about my bois so you can help me if i can activate it without bois loader ( clean activation method ) or not ..

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    you can run everest it will let you know if you have SLIC in bios but do it on a machine with clean install by that i mean dont use any vista loaders as they will have added slic.