OEM Recovery Media query

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by basix, Jun 20, 2010.

1. basix

basix MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi all,

I recently bought a Dell laptop. It didn't come with any media. I had to create the "recovery" DVDs by using the preinstalled software on my laptop. Ideally when I get a new machine, I blow away everything on it and start with a clean slate. But, this time I cant do that! The recovery media seems to re-image my whole harddrive with all the factory installed crap. This is something I definitely DONT want.

Now heres the deal. I got a hold of Windows 7 Home Premium and installed it. But when I enter the product key on my COA and try to activate it. The activation fails. Why does this happen? Also, is it possible to some how "transfer" the activation from the factory installed state of my machine to a clean install of Win 7?

I am using the same version of Win 7 that came preloaded with my laptop. I also tried this[1] to "transfer" my activation. But as the article clearly states OEM installs wont activate this way. So folks, what do I do?

[1] (Sorry I couldn't post a live link) hxxp://mydigitallife.net/2009/09/24/how-to-backup-and-restore-windows-7-and-server-2008-r2-activation-status-activate-offline-on-reinstall/

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. basix

basix MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    #3 basix, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    (OP)
    urie, if I understand you correctly, then I need to obtain a Win 7 Home Premium ISO, somehow get the Dell SLP key and my certificate from my machine. I can then use these three things to activate a clean copy of Win 7 Home Premium, right?

Edit: I restored the laptop to its factory state and I extracted the Dell Certificate and Pkey. What exactly is this key? Why is it different from the key on the COA?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007