OEM Recovery Partition Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rainster, Jun 13, 2010.

1. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    I currently have Vista 64-bit, with a HP OEM Recovery Partition that takes about 10GB space. I want to replace this recovery partition with Windows 7 files so that I can use it in case of emergency in Windows 7. Is there a way to either
    a) "upgrade" the recovery partition before or after Windows 7 upgrade installation; or
    b) create a new recovery partition after Windows 7 is installed that functions the same way as a OEM recovery partition in Vista?

I know that I can remove the recovery partition with the HP software under Vista, and I know a clean install of Windows 7 automatically creates a new recovery partition. But I want to know if there is a way to have this feature during an Upgrade install of Windows 7 from Vista, or at least a way to create your own recovery partition before or after the upgrade

I searched the forums and google extensively, and it seems the info is hard to find

Thanks!

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Cool so a new fresh install of 7 creates a new recovery partition ? awesome.. no thats not right.

You can use acronis true image or the built-in program do make an image..

3. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Yes, I am pretty sure I read W7 creates a 100MB recovery partition during a clean install (but not during an "Upgrade"). Perhaps it's not the same thing as an OEM partition, but I think it provides what I'm looking for, i.e. the recovery/diagnosis tools.

My question is not really about creating a disk image with acronis, but rather a recovery partition that lets you access tools like Startup Repair, etc. during boot time (pressing F8). Since having a Vista recovery partition is useless after upgrading to Windows 7 to access these repair tools, I want to know how I can have basically update the recovery partition to W7

4. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    The OEM recovery partition provides a convenient way to restore the operating system on your computer completely to its default factory state. This means that you can restore your computer to how it was when you first purchased it. The Win7 100mb partition contains boot files and recovery files, which means that you can perform repair operations on the existing operating system. You can not restore the OS to factory using this partition.

;)

5. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Yes, and how can I get this partition from a Vista to Windows 7 upgrade? The existing OEM partition is not updated automatically, and the 100mb partition is not created during an upgrade

6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    There's no 100 MB recovery partiion but hidden systempartition used for bitlocker among other things:)

Im pretty sure you cant upgrade the recovery partition from vista to 7 but you can still use one of my advices..

7. rainster

rainster MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2010
    Let me rephrase my question. I want to be able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment without using the W7 DVD. The OEM partition usually provides this functionality for Vista, but when I upgrade to W7, how can I have the same feature?

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    The 100MB partition has nothing to do with it, it just contains the bootfiles that in previous windows versions were on the os partition itself. The recovery partition contains a kind of acronis image of the os partition (and with windows 7 it could also contain the 100MB partition) and probably a kind of mini linux, just like the acronis bootcd, to allow restoring the system from the partition. I think the bootmanager contains references to that partition and if you select restore option it will boot up that linux and restore all partitions that are in that image.

The recovery options that can be on the 100MB partition are other recovery options than the oem partition, this are tools to repair bootmanager, restore some windows files etc. for in case you're unable to boot into windows. This are the same options you can acces by booting from a windwos install disc.

I think when you install acronis and find a crack you can even create a real recovery partition yourself, which can be started with a key combination at bootup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes, Acronis bootloder can handle F11 (used normally for restore boot)
    And it boots to own (created first of course) recovery partition with recovery image

sebus

10. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Yep, i use it myself.. Create a..lets say 15-20 GB ASZ first then create a image and then resize asz so it doesnt uses way too much space.

And last.. it doesnt need crack, just a serial:)

11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...