OEM, Retail, MSDN I am confused.Help me.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sappu, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sappu

sappu MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2009
    I was just wondering whether there is any difference between MSDN version and Retail/VOL version of VISTA (or any other OS) .
    I am not talking about the difference in the licensing or activation keys.
    Suppose if i have (i dont!) a MSDN version dvd and RETAIL/VOL dvd will they exactly the same,in case of content? Is MSDN version realy a RETAIL/VOL version but just called MSDN version because of the way.....?

I have seen different ISO images of a single OS (say VISTA), same build number but ISO images have different MD5 hashes. Everything claims to be genuine and untouched and the MD5 hashes, when googled produces hits (all from different sites and all have the same decription) How come that? No ISO images in my collection maches with the ones found on official MSDN server. (MD5 hashes on MSDN site). please help with a detail answer.

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #2 msr, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Msdn are retail disk, and enterprise disks are volume disks for vista and win7.

msdn do not give you oem disks, but you could use oem serial with retail disks with vista, so i assume it may be that way with win 7.

You can download the enterprise version of win 7 from ms site direct, though say your a it professional. The link is on this site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sappu

sappu MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.