OEM vs System Builder

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AnarethoS, Nov 5, 2012.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I know that Windows 8 now has a "System Builder" license for home-made computer, which support moving the license to another computer, where OEM in previous versions didn't allowed.

The question is : Where can I buy this "System Builder" version. Is it the same as the OEM version? I found some OEM version à 129$ (Pro, OEM) at TigerDirect (Canada), but didn't saw any "System Builder" version.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    With Windows 8, there is no "Retail".

Only the following exist :
    - OEM SLP (Dell, Hp, etc.) with key embedded in firmware
    - OEM for small shop (with regular COA sticker)
    - Upgrade
    - System Builder

In the past, lots of people where using OEM for custom buil computer, but thiw was illegal as per Microsoft EULA. Thay have now created the System Builder licence, which is similar to OEM. But I can't found it on any online store....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    With Windows 8, there is no "Retail" :confused:

Windows 8 Core & pro editions are available in both flavours, Retail & OEM

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Retailt as been replaced by "system Builder", which is supposed to cost the same as OEM. But "system Builder" allows transfert to another computer, not OEM.

If there is a real Retail (non upgrade), I would like to see that!

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    My dreamspark key says retail :D

9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
  10. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
  11. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    In Germany (and Austria too) there was several years ago a high-court decission, that the OEM restriction doesn't applies how MS wanted them to be. The decission was something in the meaning of that MS would have an unfair advantage to private customers with this therms. So here where I live, the OEM or SB restriction for only alowed to buy with hardware hasn't applied for us for several years. Now MS has changed this for everybody in the world and labeled it the "cheap" way of getting a legal Windows for the consumer or small PC-Seller around the corner which builds his/her own System and doesn't buy from big OEMs.