Office 2007 update KB974234 causing Windows 7 audio crash

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hypoactive, Dec 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hypoactive

hypoactive MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    I thought I'd mention what happened and how to possibly avoid it.

I was running Windows 7x64 ultimate and was experiencing severe audio crashes - the system would hang completely and I had to reset the machine.

Initially I thought i-tunes was the culprit, but when irfanview 4.25 crashed in an identical manner whilst playing an mp3 file I realised the problem was more subtle.

I re-installed the OS and drivers, installed microsoft update and then removed internet explorer, media player and media centre (I mention this just in case it is a contributory factor).

I re-installed itunes and irfanview and found no unexpected problems. I then added my apps one-by-one (re-booting each time). After installing Office 2007 SP2 (I installed word & excel only) I added the Microsoft Office Word, Excel & System Security updates one-by-one in chronological order (re-booting each time).

The system became unstable when I installed Microsoft Office System Security update KB974234. On removing it, stability returned - however I must add that on my original unstable image, removing KB974234 did not restore stability.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I have not encountered this issue and don't think the Office update would be the culprit.

3. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Nor me. I have that update installed and no audio problem.

Are your drivers updated?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hypoactive

hypoactive MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Yes my drivers are up to date. This problem occurs whether I use Microsoft's version of the drivers or the latest version from the manufacturer (Realtek 2.37 - on-board sound alc662).

It may be possible that there is a problem with the 64-bit sound drivers no matter what the version (I have had no problems with XP SP3 and this update - same system) or the update just does not like the driver, either way until it is resolved not installing the update is the only way forward.

5. hiphopboy

hiphopboy MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    Nor me ! I'm using it perfect

6. SAXPSP

SAXPSP MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    I don't know if that is what is causing my computer to loose the audio too.

7. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have x64 with office 2007, no problems here...I have realtek onboard sound, but not the same one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. hypoactive

hypoactive MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    I think I have solved the problem.

This crash appears to be some kind of cocktail effect with KB974234 and Avira (free version).

However, after crashing the system by playing music (i-Tunes or Irfanview), I uninstalled Avira and then re-installed it and the system REMAINED stable.

Curiously, if I uninstalled and re-installed Avira without forcing a crash, the system would still crash when I played music. But after this crash if I uninstalled and re-installed Avira, the system became stable - it appears that the crash is required to sort things out!

I don't know or care why, but at least it's working.

9. hypoactive

hypoactive MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    The problem re-appeared yesterday - I think it was triggered by an Avira update.

I have removed Avira and am auditioning Avast (free version). No problems after 5 hours (hopefully that is the end of the story).

10. el_zari

el_zari MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Install Realtek 2.38 audio drivers and sound works perfect 1000%

Regards from Spain

11. ennio

ennio Guest

That must be the problem. Two different AV porgrams can't be on one system without a problem.

12. hypoactive

hypoactive MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    I have only ever been using one AV. I have just uninstalled Avira and replaced it with Avast.

Currently I am using the MS version drivers, they seem to be fine at the moment - but as I have mentioned I have removed Avira. But at some point I will try Realtek version 2.38 with Avira and Office.

I honestly don't know whether the problem is the driver, Avira or a cocktail with Office, Avira and the driver.

13. ennio

ennio Guest

Sorry, I didn't understand. I had similar problems when I tested 2 different AV programs on one machine. Maybe you had some leftovers from the previous AV. Try new drivers ASAP.