Office 2010 beta 2. Is it stable?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by albsat, Nov 24, 2009.

1. albsat

albsat MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Hello there,

I see many of us have installed Office 2010 beta 2. I just have a question.

Is it relatively stable to be used for everyday work? What's your opinion?

Thank you

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I have not run into any issue as of yet. If you are going to use it for work I would change the Save Auto Recovery Information option from 10 mins to something less.

3. marcopoloxp

marcopoloxp MDL Novice

May 14, 2009
    outlook gets hanged for no reason.never gets closed properly.have to kill manually in other way.

can't set excel to save document in .xls format by default, though word has this option to save in .doc format by default and working properly.

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Must be issues with your machine. Outlook works like a charm for me and Excel will allow me to save in .xls by default.

5. Threshold

Threshold MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Hi guys,

If you install this beta will it update to the proper version through Windows Update or we must remove it and install the final release when it will be ready?

Many thanks

6. marcopoloxp

marcopoloxp MDL Novice

May 14, 2009
    I searched for the issue.Many people are facing the problem of outlook.And where is the option to save workbook in .xls format?

7. marcopoloxp

marcopoloxp MDL Novice

May 14, 2009
    ^Thank you.

8. Brandypuff

Brandypuff MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    when does it expire?

any know? ?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Why even use it for everyday work when you know it will expire, try it out fair enough but back up your documents. Hopefully they are backward compatible:)

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I have it virtualized using App-V, I have to tell you App-V is the bomb. I used to use SCCM to deploy apps to all my machines then I found App-V, it is easy as hell to setup, and you just install a client and you virtualize all your apps.

I have Dameware, Newsleecher, Office 2010, and I am thinking about virtualizing firefox.

The advantage is that your settings are consistent on the server because they store in your profile as long as it is roaming, so you just format and only have to reinstall 1 or 2 apps like Daemon Tools or anything needing a driver. The rest of the apps being virtual will be available next time you login or you can do a manual refresh, and their states are the exact ones you left them in. Now combine that with remoteapp for RDS and you have a perfect solution.

11. MJScore

MJScore MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I also experienced the Outlook hang. Went back to Office 07 until it's fixed.

12. marbun

marbun MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    I use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, and till now still running normally. I use to work and so forth. and so far no any problem, all so easy.

13. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    no hang here running clean install of Outlook 2010 against Exchange 2010

14. tarzan007

tarzan007 MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    no, not stable yet, but can be used still

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Its beta, that means its NOT unstable and NOT recommended for everyday use. Generally you'd find most betas of any product will be pretty usable, just don't be surprised if it crashes and you lose all your work.

They make it available for use as it gives time for companies to check it out and see if they like it (bar the bugs), and shows users what the product would be like which they hope to turn in to a sale. Also it allows them to possibly find bugs that would have otherwise gone unnoticed by beta testers.

So, for the question of whether you should use it for everyday use, the answer is no. To answer the question is it stable for use, the answer is also no. People can argue with the statement as much as they want, there is a reason why its called a beta and not the final product (or even a release candidate)!

Beta's do expire as do release candidates, and they are not updateable. The only time updates become available for beta or RC versions is when there is a major security concern or other major issue that Microsoft feels compelled that they should remedy it