Office 2010 breaks Windows 8 Update.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by akash4357, Sep 19, 2012.

1. akash4357

akash4357 MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2012
    #1 akash4357, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    [SOLVED] Office 2010 breaks Windows 8 Update.

As the title says, Installing Office 2010 broke windows update on my Windows 8. I could install every update (5 updates to be precise) before installing Office 2010. By immediately after Office 2010 completed installation I always check and download Office updates, Surprisingly this time I was greeted with "WindowsUpdate_8024402F" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" After doing a bit of advanced Google search I found out that the error may be related to any one the the following

1. This issue may occur when you are using proxy sever or router : I don't use a proxy server. I checked and checked. So this is really not what broke Windows update.

2. You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates : Nope. I'm always connected. Not this too.

3. It might also mean that a program running on your computer is preventing Windows Update Services from accessing the Internet. Programs that might do this include firewalls, antispyware software, web accelerators, Internet security or antivirus programs, or proxy servers : This has to be it! But the only program that I have installed right now is Google Chrome, CCleaner, Picasa, K-lite Mega Codec pack, AND Office 2010. That's it. Since i was able to install updates before installing Office 2010 I'm pretty sure it was responsible for me to rant about it here!:mad:

4. After uninstalling Office 2010 the updates worked fine again!

So, my question is does anyone know how to fix this problem? I REALLY need to use Office for my projects. All the possible solutions floating around don't seem to work and some are incompatible with Windows 8.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    No reply?!! Would anyone want to help?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Sorry its not Office 2010 as I am running Win 8 Enterprise and Windows 8 Pro both have Office 2010 installed and Windows update works perfectly.

4. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    Which version of Office 2010 are you using?

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you used an NON-MS Activation for Office 2010 you'll have problems. That applies to the Mini-KMS Activator and others for Office 2010!

6. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    Oh! I had installed Office 2010 and then activated via the Microsoft Toolkit 2.3.2! Does this seem to be the cause of the update failure?

7. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #7 Nucleus, Sep 20, 2012
    Win 8 Pro (x64), Office Pro Plus 2010 (x86) Word and Publisher to be exact with Office SP1 installed. CCleaner, Eset Smart Security 6 (RC), and a bunch of other stuff installed. No probs with Windows Update, the tile update of a couple of days ago went fine. Also get notified of Win Defender updates too but hide them as I don't use it.

Edit: Office installation was KMS activated with MS Toolkit v2.3.2

8. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    I have exactly the same configuration on mine except that I use Windows Defender rather than Eset. And I did activate via the Toolkit. But after a while (reboot after installing Office) When I do check for updates I am always greeted with WindowsUpdate_8024402F. I cannot find any application blocking my firewall. Really clueless here!!

9. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #9 Nucleus, Sep 20, 2012
    Your Win 8 is activated?

Not via one of the dodgey hacktivators going around? You haven't used one of the watermark removers? There are quite a few posts around the board about these breaking Windows Update as a result of their modding system files.

10. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Well all I can tell you is that I used the mini KMS for my Office 2010 activation in both Win 7 and Win 8 and so far NOTHING is broken. Maybe another program is causing this error, or maybe it could be that something in your windows system is messed up and you might have to do a restore???

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That Office Toolkit 2.x.x is an NON-Genuine Activation, or should we tell Hacktivation?! As the Security Checks from MS on Windows 8 differs from Windows 7, it also could be that your Windows 8 Activation (if it's a true one) could be gone at any time.

That were happen to me on the first Machine I installed Windows 8 for testing on Aug. 2., activated with KMS, and after 5 days, the Updates were not working, giving Error Messages only and than another 2 days later the Windows activation were gone after I checked for Updates again.

As long as the Windows 8 you running is just not 100% legal, you could try again with that Toolkit! I didn't try it again and just use to call to MS to reactivate my Office again, even if I had to do that 3 times a day!!

12. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    #12 akash4357, Sep 20, 2012
    (OP)

My windows 8 is 100% legal. I am able to download every single update. I re-installed Win 8 and activated with the Genuine Pro key.I have not installed Office 2010 on this system as of yet.

Here's the screenshot I took.

Capture.JPG

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Personally I don't mind you use what version!

For years now I use pirated apps for to test, if I couldn't get a fully working Trial version with out a single limitation! That would done at my home or at an office which isn't registered by the Government. Within my companies workspace, I use legal Software only, there isn't a single copy running! The reason for that is that we had MS, or better the BSA several times for to check the IT Properties and Licenses in my Company.

So Office 2010 is available with more than 30 Licenses for me and so I could just call MS for re-activation even if I sometimes have to send them a prove of purchase and/or a copy of the COA.

It's fun to play "around" with that "special" stuff to see it could/would work or not. So the Office Toolkit!

14. akash4357

Mar 8, 2012
    #14 akash4357, Sep 20, 2012
    (OP)
    SOLVED (for now!)

OK so I managed to solve the problem. I installed only Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Published. Activated via the Toolkit. Rebooted and checked for updates.. Voila! Windows Update works now! Downloading a few 100 Mb worth of Office updates right now. Seems to me like some programs with Office which I UN-ticked for installation were interfering with Windows Update. Seems all is fine now! Loving Windows 8. :)