Office 2010 with INTEGRATED SP1 ??? ...when is it coming ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by BMW, Jul 2, 2011.

1. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #1 BMW, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    any idea when

Office 2010 with INTEGRATED SP1 is coming ?

since SP1 RTM is already out, I'm eager to get the INTEGRATED iso ,
    and haven't found any proper info ...nor is it on wzor...

don't wanna do slipstream, if official ISOs will be out in some weeks . . .

Cheers :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jcroot

jcroot MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    I am wondering what is the difference between a home made SP1 slipstream then the offical ISO SP1 from Microsoft. Does any body know?

3. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    #4 BMW, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Exactly...and I don't think they gonna do it this time, lol.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks one less thing to worry about

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Just unpack the SP1.exe and place all files in the "Updates" folder within the installation disc, then it will be installed auto when installing office 2010 in future. :hypo:

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Placing the SP1 .msp files into the updates folder is NOT slipstreaming/integrating. Just click on the update exe after install, its absolutely no more effort!

A truly integrated iso is one where the actual setup files are updated using the extracted.msp files. Inside the .msp files there is a file called patch_cab which contains the actual update files. You'd have to extract these, incorporate them directly back into the original install files, and also any registry entry changes, and do this for the main sp1 file, main language files, the client shared .msp files etc. You should end up with an install folder that is about the same size as it is now, not 600+MB larger (for the x64 version, x86 version is a little less) due to the .msp files.

The extracted .msp files are a little over 600MB (little less for the x86 version) because they are compressed in the exe installer.

So what is the purpose of the updates folder you may ask? Well, its there for all the service pack related updates. Since there are already over 20 post-sp1 .msp files (extracted from the main exe installers for these) you can see the benefit of not running 20+ updates after installation. It isn't really designed for the service pack file updates which can be executed post install by one simple exe installer. The other issue is, you can't place the post-sp1 updates into the updates folder because they should only be installed after sp1, and if you place the sp1 installer into this folder there is no guarantee of the order in which they will be installed!

Anyways, unless someone actually goes to the effort of properly integrating sp1 into the main installer, and does it properly, it looks like the only realistic viable solution is install office, install the sp1 (which is a simple step after), and then install the updates either manually or using an automated script like mine :)

Of course, you can copy the sp1 .msp files into the updates folder but:
    - You use more disk space, since the exe is compressed
    - Is there a specific order the sp1 .msp's are meant to be installed? how do you know the Office installer will do it the same way as the exe?

8. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #9 CODYQX4, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019

9. X-MEN

X-MEN MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    i did integrated sp1 using cody toolkit..tested and working fine!!! thanks cody:worthy:

10. BMW

BMW MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2011
    extracted SP1 in updates folder...

upon installing Office .... version says 4760 instead of 6023 :/

Conclusion:: SP1 did NOT get installed automatically :/

then had to manually install SP1 . . .

11. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Like I said, the updates folder isn't designed for the service pack .msp's, only the individual .msp's which for the post-sp1 updates can't be placed in there anyway since sp1 wouldn't have already been installed.

So again, the updates folder is NOT integrating!

Its just like with the Windows 7 installed. Integrating involves using DISM which replaces the actual files in the setup. If you call the Office Updates folder integrating, its actually no different then copying all the .msu's from the Hotfix repository onto the disk and running them after Windows is installed. Its not integration is it?!!!! :) lol

12. iceblue

iceblue MDL Novice

May 27, 2011
    I integrate it by myself !
    you can also do it!

13. jcroot

jcroot MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2011
    #14 jcroot, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    @acrsn

Thanks for this great tutorial, I was one of the first people who downloaded your Office 2010 SP1 integrated ISO version and I was just wondering if there were some changes with this tutorial? or what I downloaded is exactly what I will be getting with this tutorial?

14. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    This is REALLY interesting... can we investigate further? I extracted the cab files... now what? :confused: where are the registry entries stored?

15. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #16 akf, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    @acrsn
    Yes, we all know that inserting the msp files into Updates folder really works in installing M$ Office 2010 SP1. However, it is not really a truly slipstreamed process as the msp files are installed in the last stage of the installation process, which is "Applying Updates". What burfadel really mean is that installing a truly integrated M$ Office 2010 SP1 will be even faster, as there will not be the "Applying Updates" stage. It is similar to installing Windows 7 SP1 (MSDN) image, rather than installing Windows 7 RTM and subsequently SP1.

The best way for us to install M$ Office 2010 SP1 is use your way, which is to insert the msp files into Updates folder. Nevertheless, I really hope that M$ will eventually release a truly integrated M$ Office 2010 SP1 iso. Yes, the past history of previous versions of M$ Office did not suggest this, but one can always remain hopeful. :)