Office 2016 all of a sudden lost activation and will not activate

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Ornithophilia, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Office 2016 has been activated on my PC for four years now, all of a sudden just overnight, it lost ALL activation and will no longer activate. I always receive the following error message in KMS_VL_ALL-38r:

"Detected Office 2016 does not support KMS activation...
    Retail Products need to be converted to Volume first."

But it is NOT retail! This is the SAME ISO that worked with KMS_VL_ALL-38r on my other PC just a week ago!

Unless somehow, it got converted to retail overnight.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #2 coleoptere2007, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    If message said it's retail then it is retail. Convert it to VL and try again.

3. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    It was ALWAYS VL. How tf did it convert into Retail? KMS has worked for years with this! Only today did it have any issues.

Funny, you do NOT provide any instructions for converting it either.

4. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    So, all I am going to get is a junk response and NO further help with my issue?? :(

5. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    If you have used KMS_VL_ALL you should read troubleshooting steps in read me.

First, follow that, If still failed then create debug log, (use read me for how-to) and post it in the KMS_VL_ALL thread for the inspection.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Ornithophilia

Ornithophilia MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015

There was nothing in the troubleshooting steps that matched my issue. Activate.cmd IS set to auto convert it to volume but it is NOT

I am UNABLE to upload the log either because the forums DOES NOT accept .log files :(

7. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    Then change .log to .txt :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    In case of KMS_VL_ALL, most of the issues are caused by system files corruption. That is why the troubleshooting steps mention to check/fix system integrity as an initial step, which you didn't mention that you tried. Anyway, abbodi has given you the resolution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. skirklan

skirklan MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2011
    Given the fact that you've profusely stated, in other threads as well, that the channel conversion tools don't appear to be working for you, have you not tried wiping out office and starting over again? Rather conveniently, the sig above this post has all the links you need. Office scrubber looks like it should still work with the version of Office you are using.

Personally, I would start with revo portable aggressive uninstall and evaluate each reg key and file that it wants to wipe out as well but office scrubber has a detailed explanation of when and what to do so you wouldn't have to make another post asking which reg keys/files revo wants to remove and if it's okay or too aggressive.