Office 2016 no longer displays "Product Activated" .... Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by DaGoz, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    #1 DaGoz, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Hey guys,

Today I randomly checked the Account tab of my Word 2016 program. Before, it used to say "Product Activated" there, but now it doesn't say anything. It's not asking for activation nor does it say it's already activated.

I think Office updated itself automatically, and since that time it no longer shows activation status. Should I be worried about this? Is it going to stop working someday? I would be more worried if it said it wasn't activated at all, but like I said, it doesn't show ANYTHING there. (See the photo)

For the record, I used the O2016RTool (version July, 23) to activate it previously. I tried running it again, but it made no difference, it still doesn't display activation status.

Thanks in advance for the help!

O2016.PNG

2. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh yeah I'm having the same issue. Just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 and decided to install office. Not sure why this is happening

3. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    The thing that gets me is, before, it would specifically say that Office wasn't activated and how much longer you had to activate it.

Now there's just.... Nothing. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

It's working for now, but it makes me nervous when it doesn't specifically say that it is activated.

4. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    So I tested this and it seems to be new build related? Uninstalled Office and went back to 16.0.7341.2035 and checked and it says it's activated but I'm not sure whether update will break this again.

5. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    That was my thought too, that since Office updated automatically, it no longer displays activation status.

Out of curiosity, I checked the activation status in MTK 2.6.2, and everything seemed ok there. Said everything was activated and had 100 and some odd days left.

Very weird.

6. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    So it goes into trial mode?

7. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    No, it seems the KMS server is still running, meaning it should re-activate itself before the time is up.

So probably it's nothing to worry about, but I'd love to hear some others chime in.

8. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    #9 DaGoz, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Nice find! So looks like there's nothing to worry about.

And, following that post, I saw in another thread how to check activation which I'll post here in case anyone else finds this thread:
    (Give thanks @ratzlefatz for this info!)

Open a comman prompt, then type one of these depending on your Office version:

Code:
    (64bit Office on 64bit Windows or 32bit Office on 32bit Windows)
    cscript "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus

(32bit Office on 64bit Windows)
    cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\ospp.vbs" /dstatus
    If you check directly after successful KMS-activation they will show:
    LICENSE STATUS: ---LICENSED---
    REMAINING GRACE: 180 days (259200 minute(s) before expiring)
    Beware: The minute(s) counter will decrement soon every 60 seconds
    and days will be counted as 179.

Examples of unsuccessful activation or inactive licenses are:
    LICENSE STATUS: ---UNLICENSED---
    LICENSE STATUS: ---OOB_GRACE---
    LICENSE STATUS: ---EXTENDED_GRACE---
    LICENSE STATUS: ---NOTIFICATIONS---

9. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Looks like volume to me. Since there is no update option for him. Curious about which build is this

10. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Ah, right, didn't think about that. And yeah, I too would like to know the build. I don't know when they stopped displaying the activation status, but as you saw in my first post, I'm on build 7466.2038 now, and it's definitely gone by then.

11. Harry t

Harry t MDL Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Seems since October. I installed September and it shows, October, Nov didn't show the product info