Office 2016 on linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by goodflood, Apr 17, 2019.

1. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Hello!

Anyone using Office 2016 with wine on a linux distro? How would licensing / activation work? How is the performance?

Thanks!

2. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Last time I looked Office XP was the latest version Wine would run. Wine is not what its cracked up to be and a major security issue.

3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #6 ipx, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022

4. dark.

dark. MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2017
    Consider using WPS Office or OnlyOffice.

Otherwise install Gnome Boxes or VirtualBox and use MS Office in virtual machine.

5. Xolvix1

Xolvix1 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2015
    I'd say LibreOffice is probably the best out of a bad batch for native Linux office suites. Apart from being free (both financially and code base), it's also regularly updated and honestly is the fasted developed suite out there. However, it's really not as nice to use as say Office 2016 - the interface is archiaic, page rendering speed is sluggish compared to Office 2016, the supplied templates for documents/presentations are garbage and there's no integrated ability to obtain new ones from the net like Office 2016 has, and of couse you're going to have the worry in the back of your mind of compatibility with the real MS Office when sharing documents.

Just use the real thing in a virtual machine, or better yet, avoid Linux as solving your Windows issues means you'll get to enjoy top-tier applications rather than having to settle for second best.

6. phijordz

phijordz MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    #9 phijordz, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Yes, I agree.

But my long time experience with msoffice makes me unstable when I handle the ui buttons of Libre office; I just hate that it doesn't function like ms thing. That's why I use WPS. It feels just like msoffice, and the free version of WPS gives me the features I need for home/personnal use.