Office 2016 Pro Plus language not fully translated

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by swegmike, May 11, 2016.

1. swegmike

swegmike MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    #1 swegmike, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    I gave a friend a copy of Office 2016 Pro Plus iso for the bulgarian language which matches MSOFTs SHA1 checksum.
    However, upon install onto a Bulgarian window 10 Pro system after the Pro Plus English was fully removed and other tools used to look for the remaining items that weren't installed, they told me word and excel aren't fully translated to Bulgarian.

Is this the case that a language install of a given language still has some items in English but not in that language? I can understand if some words don't translate or that technical words are in English only. Will installing the English version of Office 2016 Pro Plus and then installing the Bulgarian MUI translate better?

Moreover, a while back Windows 10 pro was installed in English and the Bulgarian MUI installed, not everything was in the Bulgarian language, particularily the bootup Welcome message and error messages in English. However, when Win 10 was installed that was for bulgarian and not English I was told that everything was in Bulgarian including the Welcome message. But on the other hand, the native speaking Bulgarian said they preferred the English version since there were some things in Bulgarian that were to technically written for a simple English use of the same item. The same was said by a chinese friend who preferred English since when reading the chinese he didn't know what they were trying to say - to techincal - and they are technical (software programmer) and the bulgarian is a linguist in 3 languages.

Since there is no Bulgarian VISIO or Project, will installing the English version on a Bulgarian Win 10 which has the Bulgarian office 2016 installed work if the MUI exists in Bulgarian for Visio/Project?

We didn't get to the bulgarian vs english proofing tools to see what issues these tools have yet.

Is this true for other languages too? I'd think MSoft would hire native speakers to develop the various software products for a given language which would be fully translated and written in easy terms that are understandable.
    :eek:

2. swegmike

swegmike MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
    #2 swegmike, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    (OP)
    I spoke with the person about the Bulgarian translation to show me which office products aren't translating all the way.

As it turns out, it wasn't that the menus and error messages weren't translating for Win10 or office 2016, but that the office product names themselves weren't translated into that countries language. So for example, the icon and program name for Excel are in English and they were expecting it in their language, the same for Groove, powerpoint etc. I said that this will never change since this is Microsofts industry brand name that everyone recognizes and that some names used for programs may not have an equivalent name in that language.

However, when one goes to the command prompt for Windows 10 on a bulgarian installed system, the MSDOS commands are in English, probably for the same name branding reason and because MSDOS isn't programmed to parse the commands in another language and the MSDOS commands aren't written to parse command line options with foreign characters. However, the help files may or could be written in the language of this Windows version or office. Since one could switch back and forth between English and Bulgarian characters at the command prompt line, I presume a file name or (sub)directory can be created in either language which would mean that MSDOS commands such as "cd" "md" delete file all have to handle language characters besides English.