Office (Suite vs Individual product) ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by muckmeh, Aug 23, 2017.

1. muckmeh

muckmeh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    Beside the financial aspect, are there any known Pro/Con for one going either Full Office with selective product install (leaving undesired ones unchecked during install)
    VS getting installing full Standalone for each desired product instead?

TLDR:
    Office 2013 (Access ☑, Excel ☑, OneNote ☐, Outlook, ☐, PowerPoint ☐, Word ☑, InfoPath ☐ ...
    vs
    Standalone versions for each (ie: Access 2013, Excel 2013, Word 2013)
    (any pro/con from the above two approach of deploying Office 2013/2016/whatever.. ?)

2. muckmeh

muckmeh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    hmm sad.. wish I'd have some replies..

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik there is no difference between installing ProPlus or all the single instances. The O16Tool offers all that options for Office 2016 :thinking:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. muckmeh

muckmeh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    #4 muckmeh, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    (OP)
    Well, I had two motives actually..
    1. I was hoping to get rid of WU to keep pushing all of Office Suite products updates rather than those installed only. (ie I always skip Outlook, Lync, Skype, Infopath, Powerpoint, among others when I install from the full suite setup (ie. ProPlus..) installing Access, Excel and Word only mostly every time..)
    2. Prevent the windows registry hive from getting bloated, again, with all of those uninstalled product.. (yea, the registry does get filled from each and every single -yet-uninstalled product from the entire Office Suite, and believe me, we're not talking of 4-5 keys here.. the spread is pretty massive..
    Any clue ? I haven't found anything on that matter that would let me avoid the "try-and-see" way....

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    An easy way would be to use the Insider versions of O16 (the mentioned tool colaboration of @ratzlefatz and doggie offers that channel).

They are nearly identic to the Current Branch, but offer additional features and are not updated via WU :thinking:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    For fully indepth answers ask @ratzlefatz in the sticky, he knows best :good3:.

7. muckmeh

muckmeh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    Thanks, I'll have a look.
    Any clue if @ratzlefatz 's method would fit on with my 2nd motive/concern mentioned in my updated last post ? (the registry bloat stems from a partial install from Full Office Suite rather than standalones)

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Ask him, it's not my field :D.

9. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I don't have specific details, because i never installed individual apps

but Windows Installer mechanism works on Products GUID codes to determine patches applicability
    even if you installed only specific programs from ProPlus suite, you still get a lot of shared components for other programs, because they all lined to one pack proplusww.msi
    the unselected program are merely the GUI executable

so patching these components require installing their updates which visibly belongs to non-installed programs

10. ratzlefatz

ratzlefatz MDL FUBAR Recon Squad

Sep 1, 2012
    And not to forget: Office apps are designed to deeply interact with eachother.
    So even a Single App installation will get updates from other omitted Office apps to ensure this interaction.
    Consider such things as import/export from/to Office apps.
    Using external databases (Access, Excel, MSSQL) for Word form letters.

11. muckmeh

muckmeh MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015