Official Key vs Patch

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ssvetec, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ssvetec

ssvetec MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    I downloaded and installed one of the 7000 builds courtesy of Cornmeister's usenet link...(thanks man). I used the "Genuine Activation" and "Genuine Serials" made by orbit30. For me, everything works fine and my expiration date is 2/7/2009.

Question being, is there any real benefit of an official beta key if the patch i've used (on 3 pc's now) is working just fine?

I don't really feel like rebuilding all 3 PC's simply to use an "official key"...since they seem to be working fine as they are.

P.s - Someone pass me a hammer...I'd like to start nailing the Windows Vista coffin shut now.

Cheers

2. ondra

ondra MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    #2 ondra, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    I've got the x64 version, used the patch to get rid of watermark and feedback, activated the manual way (by orbit30)and my system says it's retail version and pernamently activated..
    Will try fresh install with key to se the difference..

Attached Files:

3. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    command prompt: sfc /scannow

restore original sys files :)

4. hitendra

hitendra MDL Member

Dec 21, 2007
    in general no change but realy it makes difference, may be in wmp and explorer.

5. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I think the boot up screen is different. Just installed the official beta to another notebook....it has a different boot up screen as compared to the leaked version. No big deal i guess.

6. nikev_21

nikev_21 MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2009
    In a word no, and if there is any difference between the official Beta release & the orbit patched version I can't see it, all the hassle of getting the offical key & ISO frankly was a waste of time.

7. bmb

bmb MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2008
    Just a quick question how can u see this Windows script host??
    And i did sfc /scannow and tried to activate with original key but in my pc i didnt see any change ......but i dont remember somewhere i see if u activate with original this shows this is activated upto August ( date stand)

8. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I just replaced my tokens.dat and pkconfig with the originals, restarted computer, used legit key.. Bingo.... is no need to re-install, all that patch done was swap the files for the old 6801 files and use an old vista beta key...

9. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Me too - took the files from the 32 bit install on G:\, which I installed with a legit key, copied them to the 64 bit install on D:\, which I used the patch to activate, rebooted, put in legit key (same as used in 32 install), rebooted, 64 bit install activated and genuine.

In the future, I've got to remember not to delete file in a case like this, but rename them so they remain in the folder - just in case. I usually rename files by putting "XXX" at the beginning of their name. Then if I need them, as I did today, I look at the end of the files listed in the folder.

Thanks win7 for the "plan"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ondra

ondra MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2008
    cmd:
    licence information - slmgr.vbs -dlv
    expire date - slmgr.vbs -xpr

11. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    you can put this command to open "run",you don't need the cmd;)

12. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I posted a backup of the files somewhere here. I always back system files after bad experiance with a messed install and no net connection one time, nightmare!

13. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    yes an official key does matter, because MS will be plugging this hole by time the RC builds come out. They did the same for Vista I expect them to do the same once the activation routines are finalized. Judging by the pace that they are completing builds I expect we should see RC0 or 1 by Mid March or Early April.