Official retail usb windows 10 image.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Insanegamer1996, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Insanegamer1996

Insanegamer1996 MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2019
    I bricked my retail usb by messing with write lock i managed to unlock it and used it for many months but i would like to have the previous image as well . As far as i remember the image on retail usb is different from any image we can download get in web because it seems like those sticks are made with media creation tool both option and install.esd is replaced with install.wim from original iso's. If there is any1 willing to create image of their usb or copy all the files it would be great to upload . Thanks.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You're not making any sense. ESD vs WIM is just a size difference because of compression, generally speaking. The actual windows inside the ESD/WIM container is the same.

Windows 10 is Windows 10, no matter the source. The only differences may be licensing and edition naming(therefor features too).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  5. Insanegamer1996

Oct 22, 2019
    I understand but once i convert mct install.esd to install.wim it doesnt give me the same wim ( different sha1) that i would get from official iso with wim (bigger than 4gb inside).
    I know the difference between compression and thats a difference between esd and wim to save sapce for fat32 filesystem ( less than 4gb) the thing is i remember having 1607 image on my retail usb with usb made with files that seemed to look like made by mct + install.wim and when i tried to copy that using random usb with mct it made install.esd when i tried to convert install.wim from install.esd sha1 was different thats why i want some1 to copy past content of their retail usb so i can compare it with what i would get by using mct .

6. Insanegamer1996

Oct 22, 2019
    It is official just the image on it is unique and you wont find it on the internet . From what ive heard dvd's are different cuz they are image 1 to 1 of iso from msft sha1 will match but usb has different image like they are made by mct but with install.wim and mct usually makes install.esd inside . Thats where we make loop and back to beginning some1 with retail usb can post image of usb here and we will find out .

7. Insanegamer1996

Oct 22, 2019
  8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #11 Enthousiast, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    The loop is because you don't get and tried what we suggested.

You want a multi-arch ISO with install,wim and don't care about the build on it.

When you feed the official MVS or Techbench ISOs, the create_multi_arch.cmd will create the MCT ISO structure and uses the extracted ISOs for the x64 and x86 folder in the ISO, at least the wim files can be verified with the ones from the original and official ISOs,

The MCT creates the ISO locally from the downloaded ESD files, the ESD>ISO tool will create a MCT like ISO with either install.wim or install.esd. You can feed it any build ESD you want and it will be usable for all scenarios.

i don't know how you can know if an uploaded ISO (which can not be verified, specially if it doesn't matter what build it contains, as you mentioned (iirc) before) is genuine either.

IF someone cares to upload the ISO, made from the content of the USB, for which he/she paid a fair amount of money, it can't be shared publicly on MDL.

9. Insanegamer1996

Oct 22, 2019
    #12 Insanegamer1996, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    (OP)
    Why it cant be shared ? I did share and i paid for it as well , we pay for key not for image on usb i believe. If you share iso here that is a dvd in fact you can choose dvd or usb before buying it and here on mdl you upload dvd image and you dont want to upload usb where is the logic. Also if you say that you decide to not make it public please upload it and send me link on private message thanks.

10. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    It can't be shared here because the hash can't be verified via officially posted MS hashes, technically making it fall under the no homebrew ISO's rule. I simply don't understand why so many people needlessly insist upon over-complicating such a simple thing as grabbing an ISO from MS or building one via UUPDump and calling it a day.

11. Insanegamer1996

Oct 22, 2019
    Yes thats why i wrote give me link on priv if its against forum rules to post it public...