ok...its my time to be humble...

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Starcar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Starcar

Starcar MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    But I'm stumped....
    I decided to go to the "speedup my pc" site (uniblue) and get the free scan done. It said that I needed download Microsoft.Net.35....so I said ok....That was at 8:30am...I left for work, and left it running...I got home at 4:30pm....and its still running....hasn't downloaded...just zinging across the screen, like its doing its download. So I thought,heck with this, I'll just close it out, and start all over....but it won't close, has no close button, has no cancel button..So I closed out of the Uniblue site....the download was still there in its own little screen...So I left the interent, and turned off my puter. Turned it back on,...its still there....zinging...zinging...So I tried the Ctrl/Alt/Delete thing....its still there. I went into Add/Delete...its not there.
    I'm at a loss at what to do now...but I"d sure like to get rid of it, without messing up my puter...
    I'm electronically challenged, and my puter skills are exactly what you'd expect for a woman my age, just the basics.
    So I'd really appreciate some help from someone...and I'd really love it if you'd put it in a form of english that a survivor of the flower child revolution can understand.
    My thanks in advance,
    Lynn

2. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Shut down the computer. If it will not shut down normally press the power button until it turns off. Wait one minute. Boot the computer. Go Start, Programs. Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. If System Restore points are available pick a restore point prior to your use of Uniblue and try to go back.

System Restore may be your best choice now but if you will google for ERUNT and install that free program choosing the option to automatically back up the registry at each reboot you will be better equiped for future problems. Read the ERUNT readme for additional info. ERUNT is five star rated.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    never trust these sites that give you free scan 9 times out of ten they install spyware e.c.t.

4. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Some sites will produce a popup saying that you are infected immediately before any time has passed to even perform a scan. You could visit such a site with perfect new clean install and receive an infection notice. No one enforces laws against fraud because the enforcers are also the fraudsters!!!