Old Asus laptop BIOS help (new here, simple question)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ammonite, May 29, 2012.

1. ammonite

ammonite MDL Novice

May 29, 2012
    #1 ammonite, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Hello, Excuse me if this question does not belong here.
    I've found this via google.
    I have this problem:

I own old Asus F3Sv laptop (Award bios version 208) and want to upgrade it with new CPU which is supported by chipstet (Intel 965) but not by manufacturer BIOS.
    Stock CPU is Intel C2D T7250 and I want to upgrade with T8300 (newer core, 45nm process).
    Problem is when I boot, BIOS reads new CPU with half speed (1.2Ghz) and dynamic freq scaling does not work so power is wasted and it heats alot.

Good thing is that I can boot.
    I googled some more and found out that BIOS is missing microcode for this new CPU.
    Since I use linux, I can update microcode via OS (And that works, but CPU is still locked on 1.2Ghz and fails to load acpi-cpufreq module (this enables dynamic scaling of freq).

My question is, do you have experience with this kind of problems?
    Will modding BIOS enable this CPU to work as it should?

2. ammonite

ammonite MDL Novice

May 29, 2012
    Please, just let me know is this possible? So I don't search for answer anymore.Thanks.

3. Mazzocato

Mazzocato MDL Novice

May 26, 2010
    #3 Mazzocato, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Someone with experience may answer soon, but...

You can try looking in the BIOS TOOLS thread to see if there is any tool that allow you to add the CPU microcode to the bios.

I know MMTOOLS do it for the AMI bios, but I don't know if it loads award bios.

att,
    Mazzocato

[EDIT]

Downloaded the latest F3Sv bios (208) and it opens with MMTOOLS. There you can patch the CPU microcode into the bios.

PS: Do it at you own risk man, I haven't messed with this stuff as for yet :p

4. ammonite

ammonite MDL Novice

May 29, 2012
    Thanks, I installed mmtools and played with it.
    But I still understand nothing :D (will learn, but to test I will use other MBO as soon as I get one.)

Just one more question, why did not microcode update from OS worked?

*This is from Intel download page

What is standard procedure for enabling some CPU to work on unsupported BIOS?
    I'm new in this field, so sorry for so many questions.