Old HP 635 with SSD and Win 10, 32-b

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nikkezpider, Jan 31, 2021.

1. nikkezpider

nikkezpider MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2021
    Hi,

Can anybody tell me how upgrade bios so it will be optimal for ssd, some tool or something?
    The bios now have nothing to change, very poor.

Thanks and best regards!

// Nikke

2. nikkezpider

nikkezpider MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2021
    Thanks!

But can some tool get update the ssd firmware? Silicon is it and the software from them is crap it do not even find the ssd, have read that it is a god thing to do but how?

3. #4 Deleted member 578156, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2021
    I an doubtful if there is a firmware option for your particular machine. It's rare to see firmware updates outside of the bios update but it does happen rarely so go to the manufacturers website for your machine and poke around in the driver section to see if there is an individual hardware update there. If i am correct which i believe i am you don`t need to update your bios or your machine. HDD and SSD are platform compatible as far a the hard drive controller is concerned with the same connectors in a laptop. The real only big difference between and SSD and HDD is how your data is stored as one drive stores information on platters where as the other stores information electronically on a bunch of chips hence Solid State. Solid State drives is much faster and reliable as well.

4. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    SSDs are plug and play. There is nothing you need to do and hasn't been since Windows XP.

5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    There's only one piece of advice I can offer, and it depends on just how old your HP 635 is. I have an ancient Lenovo T400 laptop, and there is a BIOS setting that switches the SATA hard drive controller between AHCI mode and Compatibility mode. If your BIOS has such a setting, then you definitely want to use AHCI mode so that it's compatible with your SSD. Compatibility mode exists on the T400 to allow the installation of Windows XP, which lacks the AHCI drivers and does not support AHCI by default.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...