Old laptop with an Insyde win 7 bios and win 8.1 hacked on as O.S how do I safely update-or do I?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Occam_Razur, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Occam_Razur

Occam_Razur MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2018
    Hello:

I hope this is the correct forum; my old win 8 UEFI BIOS laptop borked and I sent to it to have a new motherboard put in. I expected it to be done, correctly and more importantly- legally.

My laptop was not fixed and I ended up buying an identical laptop from the shop. Silly me expected "identical". It was/is not. The shop put KMSpico win 8.1 pro on the laptop over a win 7 O.S and BIOS.

Of course it causes nothing but hassles; I'd like to upgrade the Insyde win 7 BIOS but the OS is 8.1 pro- which I believe expects a UEFI BIOS- correct?

I've looked at the manufacturer BIOS listings and it's sort of a mess, very unclear which to use. I'd appreciate some guidance-

cheers

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I don't think I'd do business with a shop doing things that way.

Generally it's best to run the latest BIOS version, but you don't want to update casually since there is always the risk of an update failure bricking the machine. I tend not to update the BIOS unless there's something specifically I need like a bug fix or added feature.

You can install any version of Windows you want provided the hardware support is there. The BIOS in a laptop typically has a SLIC table that provides Windows activation for a specific version, most often Home. Sometimes the table gets in the way for example if you want to install the Pro version over the Home version the laptop came with. There's easy ways to get around that.