Old MOBO - New GPU Compatibility

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kidlazer, Jan 8, 2016.

1. kidlazer

kidlazer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2015
    I have a love of resurrecting old hardware and my current project is an ECS KA3 MVP with an Athlon +6000 and a whole mishmash old ram that adds up to 4GB. It was sporting an old ATI x1600 Pro, but that is having quite the number issues so I'd like to just replace it with something newer and faster. I may be able to get a used AMD 6850 for cheap, but I'm concerned about it working properly. From what I can tell, that chipset is PCI V1.0 (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone know if a PCI V2.1 card would work on original PCI hardware? There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around the internet, and while I'm not against the trial and error approach, I like to keep things as simple as possible.

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Short answer is no. PCI-e 2.0 cards are generally backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.x slots. PCI-e 2.1 is not, but there is a slim possibility it might still work anyways.

3. kidlazer

kidlazer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2015
    Hmm, I was afraid of that. But seeing as there is a possibility of it working, I suppose I'll just give it a try and see what happens. I'll report back with my findings. I also have a 4870 that I'll try of the 6850 is a no go.