Once Again.. Removing the Win7..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MCGamer, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MCGamer

MCGamer MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Alright, a long time ago, I asked this same question before, and I partly removed the problem.
    I installed Win7 on a separate partition so I don't have to wipe my drive, decide I'll revert back to XP so I format the partition then delete the whole partition and data.
    NOW, I still have that initial screen from Win7 when I boot up. When I asked this before, someone told me to use EasyBCD and that would remove the other options for booting.. BUT..
    I want to actually remove that first black screen (the second being the normal XP normal or safe mode screen) and just leave the XP boot screen.
    Anyone know how to do this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    This should help ;)

1. Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
    2. Ensure you have the Windows 7 DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
    3. Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Windows 7 DVD).
    4. Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
    5. Format the partition/drive where you had Windows 7 installed.
    6. Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C, these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
    7. Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
    8. Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

Tested several times, works like a charm ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    #3 MCGamer, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Worked perfectly, problem solved!
    Thank you very much!

*****EDIT: Big error now. Every time I try to empty the recycle bin, my computer shuts down and restarts. NEVER did this before.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Put your XP cd in the drive and go to Start->Run ... type in sfc /scannow and press ENTER.

This will perform a check of the core Windows system files and check to see if any are corrupt.

5. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    #5 MCGamer, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Don't have my XP disc anymore..
    One more major error/failure..
    Now my F: drive which was named Photos, where over 40GB of photos are, was renamed to Local Disk and it says that the volume is inaccessible/parameters are incorrect.
    I'm using Disk Director to check for errors on the partition, but in DD it still shows the partition named as Photos and shows all of the space. Hasn't reported any errors so far.
    ******Edit: Just ran through Acronis DD and it didn't find any errors. When I go to My Computer and try to click on what is now Local Disk (F:) I get..
    "F:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." Right-clicking on the partition and going to properties shows that it is 0KB/0KB, but in Acronis, it still says that all of the files/data is there. This all happened after I removed Boot.BAK and BOOTSECT.BAK. I've done everything that I know and nothing has worked. Desperately need this data back... Maybe I should have just tolerated that extra boot screen...
    *%^$&#*%****Emergency Edit: I rebooted again and now another of my partitions, M:\, is corrupt and unreadable. Every time I boot, it has to run CHKDSK and tries to fix it, but it seems like everything keeps corrupting it. Please, someone tell me what the hell happened and how do I fix it.. Every time I run Acronis, it says the partitions are fine. When CHKDSK is run, it adds a bunch of the same file or entry in at a startup blue screen. Soon I fear that I'll have to go to Geek Squad or some sht, and I really don't want to have to do that. Someone, please help.. "F:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and not readable." Whenever it tries to do error reporting upon boot up, it says the report was corrupted and I need to do steps manually.

6. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    You need to borrow it from a friend.

There is no other way to repair the files, you could boot into safe mode and run System File Checker (that is even if the system boots) or tap F8 at the BIOS and select Last Known Good startup from the list of startup options.

To exclude system files is never a good option:(, you may have many side efects, to get rid from the Boot Menu you should have used the msconfig utility and excluded the entry regarding the windows 7.

Find an XP disc urgently...

7. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    Alright, I got an XP disc, now what do I do? Just boot from it and select Repair or something? And I'm sorry I deleted a file by-hand, but that is what I was told to do by a person here that I assumed to be correct.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    as far as the drives you will need to run chkdsk /r on the volumes. This should fix them. It sounds like your XP install is corrupting things so you should just format your whole box and start over.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Put your XP cd in the drive and go to Start->Run ... type in sfc /scannow and press ENTER.

This will perform a check of the core Windows system files and check to see if any are corrupt.

10. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    Obviously I said that this is all very important data, so I'm not even going to consider your advice of just "formatting the whole box."

I've run chkdsk several times and it has done absolutely nothing. I've re-installed barebone XP Pro now, hoping for some results. Will post back if anything happens.

11. DKane

DKane MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Why won't you consider formatting? If the data's that important, surely you wouldn't be so stupid as to keep no backups of it?

I hope that's not the case, because from the sounds of it, you just might have to format and reinstall.

12. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Are these different partitions on the same drive or different drives? If they are different drives and are sata, boot to xp and click the icon to remove the drive and unhook them (NOT the one XP is on). Now run msconfig, and on the boot tab you should find an option to check boot paths, click on it and it will fix the boot issue... now reboot, then shut down and reconnect the other drives and reboot... it will prolly run checkdisk on the drives again, but this MAY solve the problem.... I had a problem where win 7 made some partitions an extended partition and XP wouldn't access them, this is a possibility also, and I don't remember how I fixed that offhand.

13. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, final post back.
    This is all on the same actual hard drive, different partitions.
    No, I did not make backups, thinking that this wouldn't happen, and I have no external hard drive.
    For some reason now, my official Windows XP that I bought retail years ago is now un-licensed and XP won't let me log on without registering it. I've gotten past it by saying yes, I'll register, but it doesn't load explorer.exe or let me run task manager, so I have to click on the support site button, then go into my computer from the browser that pops up, run task manager, then run explorer, but that only lasts for a few seconds. I finally found a key I could use for XP since I don't have mine anymore and it didn't work. I've tried many different keys and none of them worked for me.
    Stupid, I found an XP box, thinking it was the edition I had installed. Nope, it was XP Pro instead of XP Home, and once again, VERY stupidly, installed the new one on the same partition. Now both installations are wrecked and my hard drive is failing. 2 partitions (neither of which were modified or had Windows installed on them, but had ALL of the important data) are now recognized to Windows as corrupt and unreadable, when all of these recovery programs are finding this stuff fine.
    I guess what I need to do now is to buy a new hard drive, try to restore all of the files from the old one to the new one, then making sure I never do this again..

14. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    My XP Pro is "fine" but it's registered and licensed. It's XP Home that needs a key. Every time I've tried to use one, it would say it needs online or telephone activation. Tried online and it roots it out as a fake, don't really want to try telephone.. Guess I will if I have to. Mind PMing me the noun that unlocks chests and doors?

15. davehouse

davehouse MDL Junior Member

Dec 9, 2009
    buy an external harddrive, put all your important files onto it, THEN clean install. I hope you get more help in your thread than I am in mine.

16. MCGamer

Sep 12, 2009
    Alright, bought a new external hard drive to back everything up, and now I am getting a new internal hard drive to replace this faulty one. Still unsure as to what caused this whole mess..
    Now, as I am placing my old hard drive into a different computer to extract the info off of it, my old computer is rapidly dying, along with this other computer. Random restarts and crashes occur while this hard drive is in this other computer and I'm worried that this computer will need a replacement.
    Oh well. Bought a retail copy of Win7 and will install it on this new internal hard drive when I get it, then hopefully all will be well.

17. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I believe that you are having a series of hardware problems:(, if it continues I think you should paint your computer in a green color and throw it in the middle of the bush so anybody can't find...

Allways backup your data and keep your activation key in a secure place.