One month till release and the icons are still UGLY

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hecol, Jun 27, 2015.

1. hecol

hecol MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    screen_shot_2015-06-26_at_2.47.43_pm_story.jpg

One month away and these icons are still ugly, I don't see Yosemite or El Capitan icons look this awful. I guess Microsoft must have reduce their budget on Graphic Designer positions for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Look at that ugly "E" for Edge Browser... I hope this amateur designer gets fired.

For Windows 8 and 8.1, people needed start menu tools.
    Next up, we are going need icon packs.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No way, I like them they are lovely :hug2: :D

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    what u expect is MS everything they make is ugly:rolleyes:

4. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    they look fine to me windows 7 icons were UGLY and windows 98 icons were even worse.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah... Have you watched your avatar lately? :eek: :D
    Yeah I've watched mine but I am asking for yours... LOL

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    point is made....gates looks like a old horse:D

7. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Glad that's all you have to worry about in your life, lol.

Icons are fine, and if they weren't, so what?

:rolleyes:

8. TheCandyManHK

TheCandyManHK MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2015
    Being doing that since 2012 :biggrin:

9. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    I really like the new icons :) I see that Microsoft fixed the control panel icon, the old one was too futuristic :D

10. grad3zer0

grad3zer0 MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2015
    I feel like the new leaked screenshots are a bad representation of them. They are zoomed in outrageously, and the background is a low-res image that just doesn't set well with the rest of how the OS looks.

Apple has always been good with having gorgeous wallpapers right out-of-the-box, which coincides well with the overall look of their OS.

Personally I like the new icons.

11. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    icons look epic get your eyes checked

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    thoses icons seems like it's lifeless ...... flat plain ugly

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Not when they copy the BeOS icons :D

14. juv1000

juv1000 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    sir you are retarded!!! because the icons are so sexy and windows 10 is amazing so far and apple laptops and computers are over priced peaces of junk!! thank you come again lol

15. hecol

hecol MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    This OS will be part of my life. You know why? With M$'s market share, any future PCs, workplace, schools, etc will have this OS with ugly icons.

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    It's actually significantly less than one month to RTM :). The exact date of RTM is not clarified to the public, but is likely in a week or two's time. The reason for this is to distribute it to OEM's, and have it 'preloaded' for install on those systems that people have opted in on. Come 29 July, there will likely be a update patch for the RTM with any fixes between RTM time and 29 July, We're so close to the RTM that the next insider preview could very well be 'eseentially' RTM, minus the update patch... if it isn't it will be a true RC.

So, what you see in build 10154 is essentially how RTM will be, with remaining changes now more likely to be bug fixes. Of course, icons shouldn't affect stability :sticktongue: so it's possible there will still be change from 10154.

Of course, they may manage to do what they did to Windows Phone between build 10130 at the very end of May/beginning of June and build 10149 on 24 June. Significantly faster, more stable, noticeable UI changes, new animations when opening apps. It looks much better, runs very much significantly better, it's probably the most significant quantifiable change between builds in the whole Windows 10 Phone Insider programme. So, makes you wonder if some of the people on the Windows 10 team went to work on the mobile version, since they reckon the programmers are interchangeable. If this is the case, it means they've probably largely finished whatever they were doing on the Windows 10 team... Whatever the reason, it does show that significant change can occur very quickly. However, I doubt this will be the case with Windows 10 desktop.

Just hope if the do change the UI elements they don't make it uglier. I still don't like the all white title bars on programs, that's one last minute change I'd love to see.

17. hecol

hecol MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2015
    #18 hecol, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    (OP)
    Lol. Can't tell if you are a retard or a troll who thinks these icons look good and hates Apple. Even Ubuntu, Android and iOS icons were never isometric. Only idiots would design isometric icons for an OS, it will never fit in with the background. The OS background isn't even tilted for these icons work well, take a look at isometric games. Right now, Window 10 have a mixture isometric icons and flat icons left behind from Windows 8 and 8.1. Such a design failure.

18. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #19 sevenacids, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    I agree with the title bars. Maybe it's just one side of the coin we actually get to see right now because only white title bars do not work well with dark mode, so maybe there is a second version with black or dark grey title bars coming. Nevertheless, I'd like to have the colorization options back to make it any color you want, with a fix for the black text on black bars issue in Windows 8/8.1 of course.

About the icons: Well, you can always change them. It takes a little effort, but it's certainly doable. Complaining about defaults is nonsense because a default will never satisfy the taste of everybody (just like white title bars).

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010