One Thing I Notice After Removing Cortana

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Aug 5, 2016.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    #1 ChaserLee, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2016
    I'm not sure if this is just on my 2 computers here, or if this would apply to most people, but before I used Aero's method of removing Cortana, my restarts would take a longggggg time, much longer than they did before the Anniversary update. ( aprox 10 secs to shutdown and start the reboot process, with the spinning circle just burning an image into my screen)

Once I removed Cortana completely this morning, my restarts are back to being fast again. (aprox 2 secs to shutdown and start the reboot process) Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but I tend to think not. Of course, I do not know why this is, I just know that it happened on both my computers. That is NOT a coincidence. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    and how exactly did you disabled cortana?

3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #3 ChaserLee, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    (OP)
    I was pointed to WinAero's site, and got the package to remove Cortana. It contains a small .exe file, and a .cmd file. Worked like a charm. I cannot find the thread, because it got merged this morning by a mod, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it on the WinAero website.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
  5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
  6. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Oh, the old Uninstall Cortana for Windows 10. I hope you dont use the search in start menu that much...

7. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I don't use it at all. Then again, I posted that information just above in this very thread for all to read......

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Search in start menu works as ever did if you uninstall cortana (and search2), just install Classic Shell

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Seems like it is a small entertainment corner, where can make such a simple jokes.
    Disable Cortana and you have got rocket. :clap:

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Just runned Uninstall Cortana for Windows 10 to test it on RS1 and now I cant even search notepad in the start menu. Meh.

11. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    You might try reading the entire post. Especially the part that goes something like this "install Classic Shell".

Do your best to overcome that selective reading of yours.... Meh

12. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    He was clear saying that removing cortana even search2 didnt affect the search on start menu, which I knew before hand this would happend. He didnt say that remove cortana and then install classic menu, which I wont do, I hate classic menu.

Please, keep spamming :clap:

13. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Nahhh I don't feel like playin' today.

14. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Tested with my VM
    Can't find any difference with reboot speed.

15. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Well then, it may be that it only happens with my two systems. From the lack of comments from reputable members, I would be inclined to believe just that..

Thanks for reporting your findings, however!!:biggrin:

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I had this problem but only on two desktops; laptops and netbooks restart "normally". After I clicked Restart, a light blue screen appeared with "Restarting" dead center. It just sat there for maybe 10 seconds. Then when I clicked the Lock Screen, a similar light blue screen appeared for a similar period of time. Then that changed.

It's stopped happening and I have no idea what changed. One desktop is an old AMD dual core I built several years ago, the other is brand new. I have no idea what's going on but both systems are stable so I'm just doing the watchful waiting thing.

It being so soon after initial installation of Windows 10 (and the anniversary update), I'm still tweaking things so I sort of think I did something to cause it then something to stop it. I just wish I knew what.

17. Leporello

Leporello MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm NOT totally sure. But it seems to me the total removal of Cortana might cause problems with the Updater. What happens when it doesn't find cortana? Anyway, after rebuild of Cortana the problems were gone. Of course, I deactivated that crazy thing, so that I have just the search function working. And the Program itself remained at it's place.

18. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Thanks for using my winaero batch files.
    Maybe VM is just a bad environment for speed tests. It might not behave as a real hardware.

19. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Let me tell you, I have a whole box full of your batch files!! I find them easy to use, easy to understand, and the results are very stable.
    I thank YOU for all the hard work and dedication you put into them for the benefit of others!!!