Onedrive issue on Windows 8.1 PC

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pra_viilon, Jun 12, 2014.

1. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I have an issues related to OneDrive, it appeared after installing the recent OneDrive update from June Tuesday patch. Onedrive folder in the user folder has its icon disappearting randomly after a certain time. Restart usually helps, but then after a while the issue is happening again. This started occuring yesterday after patch Tuesday update.
    Resetting icon cache does not help, this is not cache problem, something else is behind it. Any ideas? OneDrive performance seems to be unaffected, but this is still quite annoying.

Check screenshot I attached.

Attached Files:

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #2 PaulDesmond, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Hm, I cannot find this Onedrive folder in neither of my explores on all machines. Unsure if it was there before Tuesday's update

edit: All old Skydrive folders are still there which are not renamed into Onedrive. seems to be a bug

3. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    In your picture your Onedrive is in your favorite, and you still have the icon below.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stripakulina

Stripakulina MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #4 Stripakulina, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    pra_viilon

Open OneDrive folder. Find hidden file Desctop.ini and open it with Notepad.

You will see the text:
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\System32\SettingSyncCore.dll,-1024
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-1040
    [ViewState]
    Mode=
    Vid=
    FolderType=StorageProviderGeneric

Delete everything highlighted in red; save changes and reboot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    That's not a bug, if you installed windows 8.1 without upgrade, then folder's name will be skydrive, but the localized name from desktop.ini file will say OneDrive. I have a clean windows 8.1 update install, so the actual folder name is also OneDrive. This folder in question is the actual folder where all files are stored, it is only accessible inside User Folder and only there I have the missing icon.

I used to have a similar issue with the "Saved games" folder as well, but for that the above solution posted by Stripakulina would work (though I have a different one as well). That was a universal bug for all Windows 7/8 installs.

This new issue however, is not fixed by the solution above.

Disappearing folder icons, appearing and disappearing "Recent Places" on desktop... These small issues don't affect anything, but annoy the hell out of me.

6. ubkfbnsflk

ubkfbnsflk MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2014
    #6 ubkfbnsflk, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    There is a solution to this.. I opened the old skydrive software, it booted like it was the first time applying settings etc but displayed an error message. I clicked ok and skydrive was no more in my pc, that reverted the onedrive folder to its original logo too! Until now it lasts.