Only 10 days to to roll back with Windows 10AU

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hb860, Aug 4, 2016.

1. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2008
    I do image backups before major upgrades, so I can roll back for as long as I want. Thus I couldn't care less about how short (or long) the integrated rollback feature keeps it's data.

3. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    But many users don't do image backups. This can seriously disappoint them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I agree that they change the rules as they go with feeble excuses. Even if few decide to roll back after 10 days, why deprive them of the chance they had? Plus, a change of policy should have been announced clearly beforehand.

By my book of fairness, such actions give the right to those who want to roll back to use piratical means.

5. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    #5 RobertJ, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Same here. I don't trust the in-built rollback method because I've seen it fail in multiple cases. Moreover on a couple of systems (including one I upgraded soon after Win10 RTM but wanted to immediately downgrade because a bad Realtek audio driver was causing an infinite boot loop) the rollback option was completely missing. Also I remember reading somewhere how certain scheduled tasks are messed up after rolling back.

I would cautiously agree that 10 days is more than enough to decide whether to stay or rollback, but 1) yes it should have been announced beforehand so that people could plan accordingly, and 2) just image your system which solves the issue in a far better manner. The added advantage is that people who always cry over spilt milk when they lose data will at least be prompted to backup now.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    This precisely. No expiration date on your own personal recovery plan.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]Many don't backup either. Not doing both is, in my opinion, just foolish. I’ve seen too many people lose their data forever because they had it all on one giant disk and had no backups. Not to mention losing their entire system.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It just too easy and cheap not to protect yourself.[/FONT]

8. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Agreed. There are two types of computer users: Those that don't do image backup and those that sleep at night.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    As I tell my [now adult] children, there are two kinds of computer users: those who do it my way and those who are effing up.

Now folks, you have to understand, I recognize there are other good ways other than mine, I'm just trying to make a point to my "kids" about how they really need to backup and have a recovery plan. They just roll their eyes as my wife does, but they do backup too. :clap:

10. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Right. Backing up your own data and drives is the user's responsibility (not Microsoft's.) Also, when we assume we do little more than make an ass out of u and me...;) (IE, make your own backup plan based on what you want to do and what is convenient for you and don't worry about what Microsoft is doing--it's your backup, not Microsoft's.)