OOBE asks for product key on an already activated computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AlbertoCastillo2001, Jul 8, 2012.

1. AlbertoCastillo2001

AlbertoCastillo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2012
    Hello

I have a Compal FL90 laptop.

I installed Windows 7 SP1 and set it up the way I wanted (installed drivers and so on) and then activated Windows legally.
    Then I made a HDD image just to backup purposes in case something went wrong.
    After this I ran sysprep and booted into audit mode to delete the account and profile that I used to install everything as is shown on this webpage: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744512(WS.10).aspx

Then after that I did sysprep /oobe
    For some on the Windows 7 Setup screen it asks for the product key again. If I type it in it won't try to activate because Windows is already activated. However I would like it to not ask for the key since it's already activated and it seems stupid at all

On the webpage it says this and it's right, the computer is activated, but it asked for the key!

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    You probably picked "re-arm" option and thus it will remove activation. How to solve this I dont know..

3. AlbertoCastillo2001

Jul 5, 2012
    Hello

Well, the computer seemed activated tho, because if I typed in the key the computer would show activated it seems
    I will try to find a skip rearm option as well

4. AlbertoCastillo2001

Jul 5, 2012
    I tried making an unattend.xml file and adding the product key on the windows image components and setting skiprearm to 1

After running sysprep /oobe /unattend:unattend.xml it still asked for the key...