OpenBSD desktop anyone?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tom9988, Apr 15, 2014.

1. tom9988

tom9988 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    OpenBSD's claim to fame is security, and it's "not Linux". That's looking pretty interesting these days with Heartbleed and all. But OpenBSD seems to be aimed mainly at server tasks. Is anyone here using it for their desktop? Pros & cons vs. a mainstream Linux distro?

Maybe I'll bring it up in a VM on my Debian system and see how it feels...

2. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    a misconfigured openbsd unit is as vulnerable as a default M$ machine. its upto the user/admin of the box!

no OS is secure and vulnerability proof. if you know one let me know. i will start using it! ;-)

and vulnerability war saga been on since dawn and will go on till mankind vanishes.... so i am not going to get my hands dirty in this holy war.

but i have seen OpenBSD boxes getting 0wn3d xD! because the admin didnt know jack squat.

thanks!
    -paul

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    mate, i normally compile the packets from source code. hence i dont enable the default
    compilation flag, or i ust simply disable it with a # and under that line add my own flags.

and the distro binaries are mostly auto updated, but this vulnerability is on server side
    and not client side.

so unless you are running a server, may be you should just update and forget it, if you
    are running a server, big time problem, big things to worry!

but IT world is always vulnerable. no matter what you do!

thanks!
    -paul