OpenGL Drivers Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Gavski808, May 9, 2013.

1. Gavski808

Gavski808 MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello all
    does anybody know where to get the relavent OpenGl Drivers from for windows 8 ?
    Apps designed for Windows 8 are fine , anything which did play on Windows 7 (minecraft for example) just gets the same error message, "Bad videocard drivers! failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode "

many thanks

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Try the latest Video Driver from Guru3d.com

Intel and ATI having more problems with OpenGL than Nvidia!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Which graphic platform are you using?
    -For Intel, OpenGL are bundled with graphic card drivers but are not installed by default. Unzip drivers and install manually.
    -For Nvidia, there should be least problem as drivers are installed by default.
    -For ATi, OpenGL are installed by default.
    -For SiS/Others, you may never find a stable driver....:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Haha SIS? Man forgot about that one..nice memory.

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    and also VIA S3 Graphics... :p

6. trlkly

trlkly MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    If the user has one of the older Intel cards, this will not be sufficient, as Intel deliberately blocked its latest drivers from working on Windows 8 in lieu of the ones provided by Microsoft. You can tweak the driver's inf file and force installation of unsigned drivers, but that's a bit complicated for a newbie.

So I just recommend installing the 10/19/2010 drivers (or a nearby date). I'd link them, but I'm still on link probation. Just use Intel's built-in search to find drivers for your chipset, sort the results by date, and find the appropriate drivers for your OS flavor (32- or 64-bit).

7. eydee

eydee Guest

If you're really using Intel, and it's not a laptop, just go and buy a second-hand ATI/AMD or nvidia card for 5€. Some older (but not yet ancient) models can be bought for such low prices.

8. trlkly

trlkly MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Do you have any specific cards in mind? I've never seen any at that price point that get higher marks than the Intel chips. People dog on Intel GPUs all the time, but they do a great job in the low-end market. I ask because I could personally could use a better GPU for a couple of games I have.

Still, even at those prices, I would never recommend buying new hardware to fix a problem caused by software. If the game worked on Windows 7 and doesn't on Windows 8, it is almost certainly a driver problem. Even spending $8 is too much when you can fix the problem for free.

You definitely don't need a new graphics card to play Minecraft. It would just be a nice bonus.