OpenIndiana

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kgtuning, Dec 25, 2017.

1. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Okay I know it is not Linux but is anyone using OI? Seems interesting and I'd like to tinker with it but I have not come across anyone actually using it. ... Maybe I will just stick to Win10 and Arch but a new OS would be fun. Thoughts?

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  3. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Good post, I guess I just wanted something new to try. I just picked up an ASUS ROG laptop so my older ASUS laptop is free to tinker with. I have a few years working with Arch so maybe I'll just stick to that or play with freebsd. decisions, decisions. I actually downloaded OI "live" usb and used DD to copy it to the flash drive and it failed to boot... no matter what I did...nothing. I try different distros this way all the time without issue, come to find out someone reported this as a bug. guess I'll pass. Thanks for the input as usual.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You're welcome. :) -- If your primary goal is to learn Unix (which truthfully is probably the best way to learn the building blocks of every distro), then a BSD based OS (FreeBSD, for example) is likely your best bet. It is still fully developed and supported by a well-documented community backing it too. Solaris and its many off-shoots; is the OS which doesn't want to die but should have been put to rest long ago. I do give their development team credit for not giving up and all, but they've done so many changes and kept going down so many wrong paths in the past, that most folks just avoid it. The one time they actually started to get a following, they ended the project (temporarily) and when they restarted, they kept oddly silent about that fact and by the time news actually got out, folks had moved on. (I'd think of it as more of as their personal pet project)

5. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I think you are right. BSD would be the way to go. I would like to learn how Unix works, just because. Hmm, would you pick freebsd or one of its offshoots like ghostbsd or trueOS? probably a bit subjective but what is your opinion?

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    It really depends on how you would like to go about learning BSD. If you want something a little easier from the start and a bit more pre-configured, to begin with, I would go with TrueOS, which is based on FreeBSD (current branch). TrueOS will include more non-free drivers and programs to start you off with too. If however, you do not mind having a little more work and truly want to dive into a Unix system which will require you to build your way up (learning as you go), go directly to the source and give FreeBSD a shot.

As a matter of opinion, I would avoid GhostBSD as although their latest release was last month (November 2017), they once had a history of going months or even a year without updates or patch (bug) fixes. If you visit the official FreeBSD community forum, there once was some controversy surrounding GhostBSD development too, but it has been so long ago, to be honest, I no longer recall exactly what it was about.

7. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    GhostBSD definitely seems was to avoid. I looks like there are only two or three devs.... no thanks, haha.. looking through their forum and fb page and it seems rather empty. Actually quite sometime ago I played around with a live usb but could never get it to install. Well maybe I'll give TrueOS a try and if it goes well I'll hop over to freeBSD.