Opening Ports.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Bob1936, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Bob1936

Bob1936 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2007
    Here's my problem:

I have dial-up at home. My ISP uses port 8383 for e-mail, and that is no problem at home.

When I go to our public library's computer lab on their T1 lines, getting my mail through my ISP Webmail is no problem.

Here's my problem. My laptop is configured for WiFi, and our library is a WiFi Hotspot. I have no problem with getting on the internet or with any web pages and, of course this is super fast compared to Dial-up.
    When I go to my ISP's website and try to get my e-mail through their webmail facility, I get the message that they cannot access port 8383 on this WIRELESS connection.

I guess I need to open this port on the wireless connection.

How do I do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
    Are you using a firewall?

Figure out how to allow your mail client to use the port. You need to configure your firewall. Usually you can allocate ports to be open or even port ranges to your mail client. HTTP protocols are going through port 80, which is of course open.

Who is providing this hotspot? It could be that on the router behind there is running firewall which is blocking this port. At this case you have to have access to it to open the port from there or ask about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...