Optional updates (including Language Packs) have disappeared from Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by szobanov, Feb 8, 2011.

1. szobanov

szobanov MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I just came to realize that the Windows Update window does not show the usual thirty-something available optional updates (last time I checked it was all the language packs and an ATI driver update) anymore, only 1 available important update. (I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 btw.)

If I try to select the updates I want to install, the "Optional" tab is completely missing from that window. I haven't hidden any of those updates, nor are they listed as hidden under the appropriate menu. It's been a month or so since I last checked for updates, so I cannot exactly pinpoint the event/time that might have got those updates disabled.

Have any of you experienced something like this? What should I try to get them back?

Thanks.

PS: I've attached a screenshot of the situation.

no_optional_updates.jpg

2. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Sorry, never mind. :eek:

3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #3 alextheg, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    try restarting the windows update service. Open a command prompt as administrator and type the following commands

Code:
    net stop wuauserv > enter
    regservr32 %windir\%system32\wups2.dll >enter
    net start wuauserv > enter
    Hopefully this may help you out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Did you install SP1? If so, then there will not be any updates except for non Windows programs like office and silverlight. Once SP1 goes public, then updates will start to roll out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. szobanov

szobanov MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Nope, SP1 is not yet installed on my PC.

Will try to restart the service though.

6. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    It may be a sign that SP1 will surface out soon from microsoft.

These 34 lang updates were present last sunday with Ultimate SP0.

7. szobanov

szobanov MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Are they still available on your system?

8. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I'll check that when going home tonight.

9. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    all optional updates still showing up here on a sp0 machine
    either you don't have ultimate/enterprise running, or something is really screwed up with your machine :)

10. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Finally they are still there for me too.

o_O

11. szobanov

szobanov MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Good news!

After restarting the WU service and checking for new available updates all the optional update packs came back, along with 10 important updates for Windows and 1 for Office.

Whether it was the service's restart, or today being patch Tuesday, or both, I don't know. But anyways, all seems to be okay now.

Thanks for your help and all the input.

12. szobanov

szobanov MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    Just a quick sidenote: having installed the aforementioned 11 new 'important' updates sent me back to square one, with no optional and language packs visible, again.

The strange thing is that the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile update was not among those 11 important ones, however now it is the only one available again.

I'm kind of puzzled right now.

13. pharee

pharee MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2011

Were you able to install .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile update successfully? I'm experiencing issue with it.