Options for a Thin Client

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Confused32, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Confused32

Confused32 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2011
    I was wondering if someone could advise me on what options I have in terms of OS for a HP Thin Client, its a HP T5730 as far as I am aware it has 512MB Ram and a 1GB Flash.

Is it possible to add an OS via a USB Stick/External HDD (a standard edition of XP, a version of Linux maybe) and/or upgraded the embedded OS? I am also struggling to find the Embedded version of XP...

I have no experience with the embedded versions of windows, so any info would be gratefully received

2. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    I have something similar.
    I attached an internal HDD to it and installed an ordinary XP Home.
    You can also run Puppy Linux from a USB stick, or external CDROM.
    DSL (Damn Small Linux) works nicely too.

If you have a USB floppy drive, you can boot stuff from floppy as well. For instance DOS.

3. Confused32

Confused32 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2011
    Did you leave the embede XP alone then and not try to remove or overwrite it?

4. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    #6 un user, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    You may build an wes2009 image 200mb-250mb with themes, audio, video and network support.

5. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    I got my thin client from someone who had "played" with it. There was no OS on it when I got it. But looking at the HP support site for it it seems one can reimage it with the original OS, which is very nice of them.

I must confess I never liked this thin client idea. It looks great in theory, but put to practical use... Maybe in a public library for searching for books.

6. XP G33k

XP G33k MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2014
    Flash drives are slow but that's not really a problem. You'll be able to run a stripped down version of standard XP in ramdisk mode on this kind of devices. I love ramdisks !