"Other User" in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mirko13, Apr 18, 2011.

1. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Something strange happened,suddenly appeared the "Other User" in Windows 7 acc with a blank picture.I can't access it because I don't know the password and user name.I can not delete it because it's invisible in the control panel,how to delete it?Is it possible that someone from the Internet creates an account on my computer or is it a bug in Windows?

2. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    I tried to create a new user, but without success.Doesn't appear when I walk into a switch user menu.I just see my first account and another without a picture called "Other User".How can I fix this?

3. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    I checked, there is no such user "Other User" folder in c, I tried to discover the invisible files, but he was not there. I do not know how to find it?This user today appeared.

4. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    #4 mirko13, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    (OP)
    Now I tried,I try to find a way to delete it but a moment ago I noticed that I can't create new users.
    In the Control Panel appear new user when I make it,but it does not appear where they should, in switch user menu.

5. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for your suggestion, I can now create new users.
    But it appeared another problem.I went back windows system to the previous day,but action center informs me that I have no antivirus in the computer!I have installed Avast and it is currently active.Why it now appears this warning?

6. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    I did update Avast, and I reset the PC, an important warning still stands: "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer"Is my system safe after this happened with an invisible user who appeared?

7. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Tnx,I started scanning, for now found about 10 infected files,I'll see what will happen until the end.
    Does this program can remove infected files,whether it is reliable and good for that?If he can not, I'll have to re-install windows.

8. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    #8 mirko13, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I did a full scan, program has deleted all infected files.
    Code:
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

Database version: 6390

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

18.4.2011 18:10:23
    mbam-log-2011-04-18 (18-10-23).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
    Objects scanned: 318242
    Time elapsed: 29 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 12
    Registry Values Infected: 1
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{31A0D938-3055-46BA-8919-59E44E0D7E51} (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{5AA0041F-B508-4A51-85C7-B59FBCA8C750} (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{56629120-4142-4A6F-8477-D0BB63F64838} (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\torangcomz.torangcomz.1 (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\torangcomz.torangcomz (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{31A0D938-3055-46BA-8919-59E44E0D7E51} (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{610EBFCC-8014-4224-8789-FA7E8E705569} (Adware.Torangz) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E5C7860B-FC70-4634-ACAB-C70DF2F5292A} (Adware.Torang) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\torangcomz.TorangBand.1 (Adware.Torang) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\torangcomz.TorangBand (Adware.Torang) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\torangcomz.DLL (Adware.Torangz) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Keyword Search (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\KeywordSearchUpdater (Adware.Agent) -> Value: KeywordSearchUpdater -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
    c:\program files (x86)\keyword search\keywordsearchupdater.exe (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    c:\program files (x86)\keyword search\torangcomz.dll (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    c:\Users\Windows\AppData\Local\Temp\kmplayer_addonvaccineclean.exe (Rogue.VaccineClean) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    e:\elektronske knjige\pretrazivac biblije\pretrazivac.exe (Trojan.Banker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    e:\PC GAMES\Crysis\razor1911\rzr-crys.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I reinstall avast .. now windows does not report an error.
    But how it came to appear invisible user in switch user menu,and inability to see the newly created users in switch user panel?
    I don't believe that these infected files are guilty for something like that.

9. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    #9 mirko13, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I know that infection can produce a variety of problems but this kind of here I don't believe.
    I scanned the system files...
    Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>SFC/SCANNOW

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Is this OK? I don't have to reinstall Windows? :)

10. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes .. I know for him,I used it before, but I wanted to try this because I saw that there are many more options for optimization, all in one place.This is the best free program or there is something better?

11. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    At the right time u told me for Malwarebytes..:good3:..with him I found a dangerous process for monitoring data and some more.I'll be back to CCleaner, it's just proven software and many use it without problems :biggrin:This Win7 manager got some praise from PC World,but it useless because happening these large errors.

12. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    This is caused from poorly made Portable Applications or applications that claim to be portable.
    The person who constructed the Portable Application did not tend to the Registry.
    Usually just building the app., without concern with Sharing/Visibility/etc.

This is usually caused by the HKU/S-1-5-21 branch in the registry.

if you experience this issue: go into the registry, you will see multiple "S-1-5-21".
    Click on them and find the one that is blank.
    Delete it, restart, and the "other user" profile will disappear.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. mirko13

mirko13 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Tnx for info and detailed explanation.I will consider this solution if I need it for next time in the case to appear bag.

14. remzicavdar

remzicavdar MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2011
    better to delete it or it's a bug that Microsoft didn't know

15. VirXatriya

VirXatriya MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2012
    Full and final solution.

Fix Windows 7 Logon Screen Showing Only "Other User" and Last Logged On User Icon

Information:
    If your Windows 7 login, welcome, or switch user screen only displays the last user that was logged on and Other User icons instead of the icons of all users created on the computer, then this tutorial will show you how to fix this.

You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Warning:
    It is highly recommended that you create a restore point before doing this tutorial. This way if you make a mistake that leaves Windows 7 unbootable or messed up, you would be able to easily do a system restore and select the restore point to undo and fix the mistake.

EXAMPLE: Windows 7 Logon, Welcome, or Switch User Screen

Here's How:
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click on the User Accounts icon, and click on the Manage another account link.

2. Make note of the user names for all user accounts that you have created in Windows 7 for the steps below.
    NOTE: In addition to any name (ex: User-Name) of user accounts that you created, you will also have a Guest and the built-in Administrator (if enabled) accounts by default.

3. In the Start Menu, type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

4. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

5. In regedit, navigate to the location below.
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    6. If you have a .DEFAULT key in the left pane as a subkey under the ProfileList key, then right click on .DEFAULT, and click on Delete.

A) Click on Yes to confirm to delete.

7. In the left pane under the ProfileList key, you will need to select and look at each S-1-5-xx subkey one at a time for the following items below.
    Warning
    Please review each item listed below before deleting any S-1-5-xx subkey. You would only want to delete a S-1-5-xx subkey if you need to as outlined below.

A) Do not delete S-1-5-xx subkeys that have systemprofile, LocalService, and NetworkService names in the ProfileImagePath value in the left pane.
    NOTE: These are system accounts used by Windows 7.

B) Do not delete S-1-5-xx subkeys that have Guest, Administrator, or names of user accounts (ex: User-Name) in the ProfileImagePath value in the left pane from step 2 that you created in Windows 7.

C) If a selected S-1-5-xx subkey has a user name in the ProfileImagePath value in the left pane that is not a user account that you have created in Windows 7 from step 2 or from step 7B, then right click on the S-1-5-xx subkey and click on Delete, and Yes to confirm.

D) If any selected S-1-5-xx subkey does not have at least all 3 of the default Flags, ProfileImagePath, and State values in it's right pane, then right click on the S-1-5-xx subkey and click on Delete, and Yes to confirm.

8. When finished, close regedit and User Accounts windows.

9. Log off or Switch User to test and see if the logon screen is now back to normal again with all user icons displayed.

That's it,
    Enjoy.

Regards,
    Viraj Kansara.

16. 皆さんこんにちはマギです

Feb 24, 2011
    this is caused by apps., mostly portable apps. designed by noobs, that add an additional user in the "HKEY_USERS" branch.
    It's not a virus.
    stop playing with CCleaner and those useless virus scans..
    love how people always say: 'it's a virus'.
    noobs.

Open up your registry, navigate to HKEY_USERS branch.
    click on each on branch, until you find a branch with an empty profile, delete it.
    and your "other user" will disappear.
    (may have to reboot)

to find the culprit software, trial & error.
    keep an eye on your registry after using each app.

good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    windows 7 manager should be used with great care and the reg cleaner is not good, many stories of problems with this. use ccleaner for reg cleaning much safer