outlook 2010 delete messages problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by snofte, Oct 29, 2014.

1. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    My outlook 2010 with IMAP setup has a problem with deleting messages for inbox.
    Recent messages deletes quickly, wheras old messages kan take up to 1 min !!!
    The older the mess, the longer it takes !
    Sent items and deleted items set up for lokal folders.
    Can anyone explain ?
    Also I have only one account, but under folders I have one set of boxes under "outlook-datafile",
    and the same set of boxes under my account name xxxxx@xxx.no
    Can anyone explain this also ?

regards
    snofte

2. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    question 1 solved. Seems the e-mail provider used a "search" method for deleting imap-mails, that is stasrting at new newest, and working its way through. Took some time to reach older mails. After complaint from me, they changed their method, and now all is fine.
    But question 2 puzzles me: Wy du I have TWO pst.files, one outlook-datafile, the other xxxx@yyyy.no (my e-mail adress).
    Whats the difference, which one is used for what ? (outlook 2010 imap)

3. snofte

snofte MDL Member

Jan 10, 2013
    question 2 also solved: Seems imap accounts, by design in outlook 2010, always creates a separate
    main folder for inbox etc with the name xxx@yyy.zz. The other main folder "outlook-files", also with inbox etc etc, is then not used, just sitting there. But then question 3 has come up:
    IMAP specs have not always been implemented fully by all e-mail providers. In outlook 2013
    it seems that not all support the so called "xlist"-thing which is neccesary for the creatation
    of folders "Sendt items" and "deleted items" on local pc. So for those who ar missing these folders
    in outlook 2013, blame the e-mail provider. In my case, running outlook 2010, also missing
    "sent items" and "deleted items" for one of my imap accounts, (but NOT for my second imap account from another provider), is missing xlist support from the provider also to blame in outlook 2010 ?