Outlook Express Replacement??

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by byghtn3, Nov 11, 2011.

1. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #1 byghtn3, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    I am finaly about to commit to W7 from XP. I just found that W7 does not have OE any more. I am trying to find the closest OE replacement that will correctly import my old mail messages and integrate with the 'send to' menu from my existing programs, Office 2010, & right click context menu, as well as most other common features/functions of OE.

I can't find much here or I am looking the wrong way. I searched for 'OUTLOOK EXPRESS' and 'E-MAIL' but I could not find anything helpful & current

I have Google searched but I can't find any NEW recommendations, and most of the old recommendations have people complaining about some feature or lack of feature that I think is important to me.

So....what programs should I consider? I want simple, NOT OUTLOOK.

Thanks,
    Byghtn

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And you should be very happy that there is not OE in Win7 (the crappiest mail client ever made, if not this, there would be lots less viruses! around)

Thunderbird?

sebus

3. X-MEN

X-MEN MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I have to agree with sebus Mozilla Thunderbird.

5. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Another vote for Mozilla Thunderbird. I've used it since 2005 on multiple PCs. It's stable and reliable. I figured out how to back up all my Thunderbird e-mails to an external hard drive and have not lost an e-mail since '05.

If you want to port your Outlook Express e-mails to Thuderbird, that can be done. A quick google yielded many pages on how to do that. Google "outlook express emails to thunderbird".

6. Hearsepilot

Hearsepilot MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    I bit of work with Google will show you ways of resurecting Outlook Express in WIN7 by simply stealing some DLL's from Vista and running a registry patch.

7. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thank you all for your answers,
    Let me try this an other way.

Can I ""TRY"" all of your solutions without damaging my original OE on my WXP machine and NOT LOOSING any new messages that may come while I am making my own assessments as to how good each of these mail programs are to me.

Can they all run simultaneously and not interfear with each other?

Has anyone done this in this way?

Thanks,
    Byghtn3

8. X-MEN

X-MEN MDL Senior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    go for thunderbird...its just awesome, simple and free..!!!:worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. lcdth

lcdth MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    Another vote for Mozilla Thunderbird. :)

10. mruell

mruell MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2011
    You can use WinMail from Vista in Windows 7, just google "WinMail in Windows 7".

Works well and looks a lot like OE.

mruell

11. Q9650

Q9650 MDL Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Windows Live Mail 2011 is your friend

12. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    So many good recommendations, so I have to try it when I have time. :coffee:

However, unlike OP, I have to consider if it's even possible to convert the old mails from the client (X-Mailer: Forte Agent 6.00/32.1186) I'm still using even abandoning reading newsgroups. Hopefully TB can be used as plain text mail client, as formatting, live links, pictures and all kinds of embedded scripts belongs to web pages. Not to mail. :confused:

When certain MDL members say something is good, how can I ignore it? :D

13. jcc2

jcc2 MDL Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I can testify that solution in post 11 above works like a charm in Windows 7.

The look and feel is just about the same as OE so you will feel at home straight away.

It will import all your existing emails (including those in personal folders), accounts, etc.

Just Google for WinMail in Windows 7 and you will find several no miss guided tours on how to implement the solution.

Good luck,

JCC2

14. ThunderRiver

ThunderRiver MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    For a very long time, I was a big OE user, and then when Vista came out, I switched to Windows Mail..and refused to ditch it even under Windows 7. But the problem is that as long as you are using software not supported by Microsoft anymore, some functionality just sucks. For example, under Windows Mail in Windows 7, I can hardly search and locate any email from even last week.

Finally, I got fed up, and switched over to Thunderbird. Search function works great! And you know the best part is? I can seamlessly switch between Windows/Linux/Mac without learning yet another email program to use.

So yes, another vote for Thunderbird

15. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Ditto!

Thunderbird FTW

16. XP1

XP1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2008
    #16 XP1, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    I really like the Windows Live Mail client (not to be confused with the Windows Mail client). Windows Live Mail integrates with Windows Live Messenger, so you get a toast notification instantly when you receive an email.

I don't like Outlook, not even Outlook 2013.