Over 1 year later and still no help, CPU Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by passion4tech, Feb 4, 2016.

1. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I am having trouble upgrading the cpu on my hp touchsmart 300-1025 pc. I want to upgrade the cpu from an amd athlon II X2 240e to an amd athlon II X4 615e. So I install the 615e in the computer then I power on the computer and then after hp logo screen an error message appears saying "error unsupported cpu installed". That does not make any sense. The 615e is an AM3 cpu and 45w just like the 240e. The 615e should absolutely work on this computer. Can somebody mod the bios for this computer to make the 615e compatible I would really appreciate it Smile

Oh and before anybody asks, I already tried updating to latest bios from hp still did not work so the bios needs to be modded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. STLVNUB

STLVNUB MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2009
    #2 STLVNUB, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    From Website
    "Supports the following processors:
    AMD Athlon X4 600e and 605e (P)"

Maybe there is a beta bios floating around that supports the 615e

edit:
    Also, did you clear cmos and load bios defaults?

3. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    A guy over on bios mods forums by the name of DeathBringer attempted to mod the bios for my touchsmart to make the 615e compatible but nothing worked. He says in order to make the 615e work you must disassemble all code of BIOS to find CPU checking. But he says it's very hard to do. Can somebody on this forum disassemble all code to find cpu checking?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Here we go again, over 1 year later and still no help on these forums :(

5. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Because disassembly all code of a BIOS is a mission impossible.

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    M8 you've had a full year to learn assembly & work it out yourself. If someone hasn't already done this then even with some knowledge no one's gonna spend the countless hours (days/weeks) on this.
    If I were you I'd just chuck the lot & upgrade to something decent - non AMD based (Although I'm happy with AMD GPU's)...