Overclocked cpu frequency lows down

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bertikul, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Hello

I have a P6T deluxe motherboard with bios 2101 and I7 920 cpu which I have overclocked @3.4 (modest OC but its enough for me). I have diabled "Intel speedstep tech" in bios. Turbo Mode is not available when "AI Overclock Tuner"
    is set to MANUAL mode, except in D.O.C.P and X.M.P mode which do not interest me.

Even with "Intel speedstep tech" disabled the CPU frequency goes down to 2.0-2.1 GHz. Can anyone PLEASE tell why and is there any way to keep 3.4 GHz up all the time?
    THANKS

2. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    The only thing I can think of is overheating, since the CPU gets underclocked to way under its normal frequency. What kind of cooler are you using and what are your temps?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #3 bertikul, Sep 26, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    (OP)
    Thak you for replying

I have a noctua and my temps are between 60 & 65 (celsius). I have veryfied, the cooler is well mounted. CPU frequency goes down to 2.0-2.1 GHz ONLy in idle. In charge it stays @ 3.4 all the time

4. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2010
    Try using Corsair Hydro Series H50 Liquid cooling system for your CPU. Ya the push pull feature of a heat sink is nice, but water cooling is awesome and cheap! I'm not sure what type of memory you have, but a high frequency would be nicer on your system for over clocking. DDR3 1600 MHz and try to up the voltage of your CPU to 1.35Vs Upping the voltage and Hz of your CPU should get you well above 3.4. You should be able to hit 3.8 even a 4.0

5. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2010
    My buddy Khaos said this should help you out.

Here is an example that I hope makes sense:

Pretend we have a memory stick with a max frequency of 36Mhz, ok? Like 1600Mhz, but smaller numbers.

Say we also have a i920 that we KNOW can do 100Mhz, ok?

We start with a BCLK of 2Mhz and the default memory multiplier of 8x

BCLK = 2Mhz
    MMULT = 8x
    MCLK = 16Mhz .. OK, so we are well within spec for our 36Mhz memory, right?
    CMULT = 20x ...i920 Core mult
    CCLK = 40Mhz .... Our make-believe processor is running 40Mhz

Now we increment BCLK by 1Mhz....

BCLK = 3Mhz
    MMULT = 8x
    MCLK = 24Mhz .. OK, we are still within our memory spec!
    CCLK = 60Mhz .... Goin' up! Overclocking is FUN!

Now we increment BCLK by 1Mhz....

BCLK = 4Mhz
    MMULT = 8x
    MCLK = 36Mhz .. memory is maxed! Now our BCLK is STUCK, right????
    CCLK = 80Mhz .... Uh oh! We still have 20Mhz left in this processor!!!!!!!!!

NO.

BCLK = 5Mhz
    MMULT = 6x .. memory multiplier goes DOWN!!
    MCLK = 30Mhz .. memory is no longer maxed!
    CCLK = 100Mhz .... Woohoo!

500% OVERCLOCK ACHIEVED!!!! BUT WAIT...

BCLK = 6Mhz
    MMULT = 6x
    MCLK = 36Mhz .. memory is maxed again!!! But now our CORE is running at 120Mhz instead of 80Mhz!
    CCLK = 120Mhz .... Supar Woohoo!

6. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    #6 .Matt., Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. loggerman

loggerman MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    I agree with Matt, sounds like an energy saving thing, you don't say what operating system you are using but if it's Windows 7 go to control panel, power options and set it to high performance.My temps with P6t-SE+920 running at 3.6 never go above 60 on air.

8. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Now you mention it, that could also be it, especially on laptops where an energy saving scheme is selected by default. I remember something about a 'minimum processor state', correct? If that does not say 100% you should set it to that ;) Or, as loggerman said, switch to High Performance.

9. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #10 bertikul, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
    (OP)
    .Matt. you were right. It is in the bios.

Searching the net didn't help me, but started "playing" with the BIOS (again) and I found out why my CPU drops its frequency. Besides disabling "Intel speedstep tech", I had to disable another option in the "CPU Configuration" menu called "C1E Support".
    With both these options disabled the CPU frequency would not drop down at all.

But I think it's better to keep those options enabled for energy saving issue (good for the planet). Now I know it's not a hardware or cooling problem for sure, so i'm going to ENABLE the 2 options. They do not hinder overclocking at all (I overclock only when needed) and drop down frequency when the computer does not need all the CPU power.

Thanks all of you for helping

10. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm glad you found the answer ;)