Overview of Windows as a service

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Tiger-1, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Very interesting. If my pre-retirement employer wanted to go to Windows as a service (or were forced to) I'd have no complaints. Actually I could not have cared less. However, Windows as a service for me personally actually means a "total" switch to iMac and Linux. Programs we have (wife actually) that required Windows run perfectly inside of VirtualBox on both Limux and our iMacs with Windows 7. I guess I still believe in at least feeling like a personal computer still should be personal (as opposed to a corporate smart terminal) regardless of its brand.

3. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    I like the part, "Most hardware drivers that functioned in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7 will continue to function in Windows 10." Right. With each new major update (RS1, RS2) they introduce new driver problems that breaks stuff. Never mind having to do clean installs when a major update breaks the OS. Granted, a lot of the latter problem is due to excessive tweaking, but not always. Windows as a service is a great idea on paper, and I like that the average computer illiterate consumer gets security patches sooner than previous iterations of Windows. The problem is the delusional statement here:

"Traditional Windows servicing has included several release types: major revisions (e.g., the Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7 operating systems), service packs, and monthly updates. With Windows 10, there are two release types: feature updates that add new functionality two to three times per year, and quality updates that provide security and reliability fixes at least once a month."

The "feature updates" are undertested and aren't much different than, say, if there were such a thing as Windows 7, Windows 7.2, Windows 7.3, etc. They push this stuff out and when it causes problems they patch the update to fix the problem. A feature update that breaks my machine isn't much of a feature.

So the end result is that I don't want to update RS1 to RS2 on my gaming machine because RS1 caused a lot of problems that took a lot of detective work to figure out, which turned out to be driver problems. And now that I have my gaming machine working great on RS1, do I really want to spend possibly days to get it working perfectly so I can get an extra 1 frame per second using "game mode" while gaming? No, I don't. It makes me want to just stop all updates except security updates. So I don't see any really easy answers here other than what PhaseDoubt mentioned and using Windows only for things you have to use windows for. MacOS and Linux are mature enough for a daily operating system and I use Linux a lot more since Windows 10 came out.

So, my point is, Windows as a service is not working out that great for me. I already defer updates, and if things get much worse with the major problems I'm having with RS2, I'll just keep it on RS1 forever and just install security updates, or switch to LTSB.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NsaFarm

NsaFarm MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2017
    AFAIK, the security updates are mostly sent together with feature updates. The milestone builds like RS1, RS2, etc are basically a "refresh" or install in place. LTSB seems the only real way to opt out since they will quickly drop support for older builds on the other branches. The original W10 has been kicked out already.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    To pf100 really I also downgrade of 15063 to 14393 2016 LTSB for this reason and same so I need make job with MSMG Toolkit and a lot of tweaks for O.S. works fine for me is single alternative; in another hand if I don't love a lot of games myself already stay with Linux for eternity trust me who know dev's of Vulkan project reach the same result of DirectX this is my big bet :g:;)

6. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Or you can switch over from "current branch" to "long term service branch" and stay "it's a feature not a bug" free for up to 10 years.

7. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    I really hope RS2 works out okay, but if not I've got an LTSB 2016 iso ready to go.