p7p55d deluxe + i5 + ocz = speedstep issues ???

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by genuine555, Feb 26, 2010.

1. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I bought these :

Asus P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i5
    OCZ3G1600LV4K 2x2GB DDR3 PC12800
    ATI HD5750
    Skythe Mugen 2 Rev.B CPU-Cooler

and they perform really well, except for a very strange, annoying fact...
    None of the power-saving features seem to work :mad:

And I mean NONE

Let's sum them up :

-C1E support : lowers the voltage when the CPU is idle
    -Speedstep : lowers the muiltiplier when the CPU is idle
    -Turboboost : allows coresto run faster than the base operating frequency when needed
    -C-State : puts 3 of the cores in low-power state when they're not needed

I can enable speedstep and turboboost, but they don't work without c1e support.
    As soon as I enable c1e or c-state, pc hangs at the windows logo startup screen and then reboots. That loop continues untill I disable both in bios.

When speedstep/turbomode enabled with multiplier on auto, the multiplier just stays at x21 when booted in windows. So leaving them on is useless.

Since it boots untill the point that windows takes over, I'm assuming windows is to blame, but I could be wrong.

All four functions are now disabled in bios, and now the board is solid as a rock.
    Temps are good and oc'ing goes swiftly.

This is the most peculiar mobo I ever came accross. It's no joke.

But if anyone has some more intell on why cpu power-saving keeps crashing the system, making it utterly useless, please tell me about it.

I installed all latest updates through win update, and all latest drivers, including chipset.
    Also flashed to last (modded :p) bios. Original bios also has the issue.
    Been searching my head off for some more info on this issue, but it seems it's kind of unheard of for this board, cause no issues on speedstep/c1e are reported anwhere.

Also when oc'ing I noticed the ram wasn't fully stable when only reaching it's stock 1600mhz. So I had to lower it's multiplier. So I guess it could be memrelated.

Any light on this matter would be very much appreciated

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I see you're in every forum I am in. You got a good one there.... I would initally blame the BIOS or a defective motherboard cept it runs rock solid with power management off...is ACPI 2.0/3.0 enabled? try disabled.
    Was os installed and acpi settings changed afterwards...what OS u running?

Unfamiliar with that motherboard, can you boot into safe mode with power management and c1e on?

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    lol, it's a small world it seems :p

Yes, with power savings off, it runs 100% rock solid. It just will not crash, even when oc'ing (which I'm still doing now)
    ACPI 2.0 is disabled. Also tried enabled, with no avail.

I heard about ppl who could install a new mobo without installing win7 again, so I tried that...
    Didn't work. Couldn't get windows to boot properly
    so I did a fresh install.

I cannot boot into safe mode when c1e or c-state enabled.
    It just hangs a few sec upon windows start animation, and then reboots, thus creating a boot-loop.

I'm beginning to wonder if my ram could be causing this ? cause I can't get the ram stable unless I downclock it BELOW stock speeds and timings.

So if anyone else had issues with this mobo and ocz3g1600lv4gk 2x2gb kit, please let me know.

This mobo is GREAT. I love it.
    But this is a huge con for me to say the least.
    These powersavings and Turboboost aer the reason for upgrading to i5, and now I can't use it.

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Hmmmm...RAM not running at rated speed...and my experience with DDR3 compatibility issues makes me think you may have a point (does it run rock solid @ rated speed power management off?)
    Do you have memory remap option, disable it and enable all power management and see if it boots into windows.....(do you need to run that RAM at higher voltages or does higher voltage allow running rated speed?)...or does it run solid power management on and only 1 stick of RAM @ rated speed ?
    QVL does not have that exact memory ocz3g1600lv4gk. Could try email OCZ and ask them...might be more productive/faster than emailing Asus. It sounds like a hardware problem as it won't make it into safemode...will it boot into a Windows PE disc?

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Does not run solid at rated speed power savings off.
    Remap is enabled, disabled also crashes.
    Running higher then 1.65 v will damage my cpu (i5 requires low voltage ram upto 1.65)
    OCZ say that allthough only ocz3g1600lv6vk is listed, both triple and dual channel will run at rated speed (which obviously isn't true).
    Booting from any disk will result in the same hang and reboot.

I will run it with one stick tonight and see what gives.

After some more research I am now allmost convinced this is mem related.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Seems that there are a number of people experiencing issues with DDR3 ram, just an observation. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yep. That's cause QVL lists of ddr3 are very limited per mobo, compared to ddr2.

My sticks, the ocz3g1600lv4gk aren't on the QVL for my mobo, but since ocz3g1600lv6gk are, I thought the dual channels would be ok also.
    Apparently I was wrong ;)

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It's official now. I tested with one stick, and the s**t functions.

I'm PISSED at those f**kers at ocz. They specificaly said this mem would work.

I looked at the QVL again, and for dual channel 4gig kit, I only have two choices :
    Geil GV34GB1600C8DC or Mushkin 996657. What a disgrace...

So be warned if you plan on upgrading to i5 or i7. Watch out for which ram you're planning to use.
    Choices are very limited, AVOID ocz trash, and make sure it is specificaly mentioned in the QVL.

Gonna write ONE ANGRY mail at the amateurs of ocz.

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    The mail I just sent to OCZ support :

A little over the top maybe, but I am PISSED beyond repair.
    If they don't give an easy (and I mean EASY) solution, I'll send them back those s**tty modules in a thousand peaces and burnt with gasoline.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Just not enough support for DDR3 right now Gen555. Very annoying to say the least but give it time. Im sure the investment will pay off in the end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    always does ;)
    i think i allready found something compatible through the corsair support site.
    Some cmx dominators. 8gb kit though, which is a little too much for what this rig is being used.

12. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    For sure they know how to get the bucks from you Gen. I love the board i have now but i didnt realise it woukd only take single sided ram.....was not happy about that. However on the whole Gigabyte boards are great for OCing.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm thinking too bout my next mainboard being a gigabyte.
    This is the second asus I got with mem compatibility issues.
    They're rock solid, but there's always something peculiar about them.

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I got a corsair xms3 4gb kit today.
    Pulled out the ocz and pinched the corsair in place.
    Problems solved !

For anyone who plans to buy an asus mobo with p55 chipset, BEWARE of ocz ram !
    I had to RMA them.
    Turns out that after using them a couple of days, they were BOTH giving out tons of errors in memtest86+, when at first they didn't.
    Really weird, but true.
    Don't know what the *** was wrong with those modules, but I RMA'd them now, only to sell them afterwards :p

At least corsair gives honor to it's name ;)

15. Zelgadiss

Zelgadiss MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2010
    I 'am having almost the same problem.
    I't started when I formated My PC. After the re-instalation of windows XP 32bit, the speedstep just doesn't work. If I Let Turbo boost on, the clock stays at 2.8mhz. With turbo off stays at 2.6mhz.
    I've already tried a new fresh instalation of windows, tried to reset the bios, pulled off the memos and cleaned'em...And nothing...Anyone have any ideas of what i can do?

Core i5 750
    P7p55D Deluxe
    G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz CL7
    Windows XP professional 32bit

Thanks!

16. A1C-James

A1C-James MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    definatly check the voltage you got the memory set at. OCZ memory is very funny like that with asus boards and they OC features. everything comes stock at auto for any of the AI tweaking catagory. The problem I found was after benching at least 50 various boards and chipsets from asus and ocq mem I found the asus boards always underpower the OCZ memory. look at the label on the memory and set the timings manually as well as the voltage and that should solve the problem. Afterall running a memtest with drasticly underpowered memory is deffinatly alot of problems.