P8Z77-V Premium Flash Back Broken

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by SignedAdam, Oct 2, 2013.

1. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    Hello everyone, :worthy:

I have a P8Z77-V Premium, The board itself seems to be working great, other than the issues any owner has to put up with (Asus software :mad:) (USB's)

When I do my flash backs, I use a "cruzer edge" made by sandisk, 16gbs, and i format it to fat32, "it's worked in the pasted using flash back"

or I use a
    Gold Bullion USB 8gb, which is cheap and something to look at, 4gbs also formatted to fat32

I start by downloading the bios from the Asus website, "asus DOT com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_PREMIUM/#support"

"P8Z77-V PREMIUM BIOS 2104"

I also download "Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback"

Once both are downloaded, I unzip both and put them in the same folder, I double click "BRenamerl.exe" and click yes to the windows message, The file is then renamed from "P8Z77-V-PREMIUM-ASUS-2104.CAP" to "Z77VPR.CAP"

I drag and drop the file "Z77VPR.CAP" to the fat32 usb driver, which copys it over, I then turn off the computer, (Shut Down)

I put the usb driver in the green outlined "flashback" port, and press the "BIOS" button, the light blinks really fast, and seems to be lit more than it use to be, when i let go of the button, the light stays on, and stops blinking, i leave the computer for an hour, and still the light is on, something is not right, so i pull the plug, on my monster AX1200i power supply, and then put the plug back in after the lights have gone off, I power it up, and find my bios has not been updated, :mad:

I've tried to fix the problem with a cmos reset, and a memory check, but that does not work, and everything seems to be working, i've tried both the usbs, but all have the seem out come, and use to work, i've even went to the point of removing the bios chip, putting it back in, and still i have the same out come, i've tried leaving the system with no power, for a hole night, but guess what, that does not work,

i've also tried using Bupdater Utility V1.30, with command bupdater.exe -pc -e then i've selected the rom and flashed it, however, even after updating the bios, i still have the same problem with flash back, i've even flashed a bios in the bios its self, but that does not fix flash back,

I think theres something left over in my bios, and it needs erasing, because its stopping flash back from working, Bupdater or flashing in the bios does not erase the bios, but seem to just replace files with newer files, or blocks with newer blocks and dont erase anything, if anyone knows how to erase the bios, complacently, then please leave a comment or drop me a line,

The problem started when i started trying to flash modded bios's to my board, by flashback, it worked before i came to this forum, and before i tried flashing bios's, but now its does nothing but lit up the room, it just stays lit, no flashing, just lights up, :mad:

Thank you for reading my message, i'd like to point out that you can flash a bios with out ram, so its not the ram, and yes i have ram installed in the board,

read more at : event DOT asus DOT com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

* so stop telling people "check your ram", because ram is not needed,

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    try the method to flash Permanent DMI slic off but use an older than mid 2012 bios thats not locked.
    can u flash from a bios tool ?
    try 1401 as i believe that one is not locked
    Bupdater Utility V1.30 for flash BIOS under DOS. (that i see u already tried)

make a backup of your bios and run it in phoenixtool to see if it shows a different name?

EDIT: i was just about to post the same as below when i came back after checking if its AMI cap issue.. yep

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #3 nexus76, Oct 2, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #4 SignedAdam, Oct 2, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm sorry guys, i see you are trying to help, thank you for commenting,, but I dont understand what both of you are saying, i dont have a floppy driver, which i believe afudos needs, your post is not very noob friendly nexus76,

whats 1401,
    LatinMcG, I can't find any download links for the files i need, hows about we have some download links in the post "thats asking for help", than making people, like my self, go from link to link, getting stressed and upset, I just want to get this sorted out, please help me, i'm a geek, but not at everything, and bios mods, updating, is not my thing

by the way, they have removed half of the bios files from the site, and there bios updating tools wont let me update my computer with an older bios

5. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #5 nexus76, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. corpsman

corpsman MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    Here is some info that may help you

I know you have the "Premium" but this is the same process.

I have ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe MB and have bios version 2104 installed.

I downloaded the bios =P8Z77-V-DELUXE-ASUS-2104 to my desktop and extracted
    the winrar for the bios in a folder on my desktop

I downloaded AI SUITE II from the ASUS support page and installed it.

I opened the update window and clicked on ASUS UPDATE

asking me how I wanted to update my bios

I clicked on "Update BIOS from file

Hit next = takes you to where you downloaded your new bios (you may have to search for the folder) click on you new bios

This will take you to "Update BIOS from file

shows "selected BIOS file" this shows the BIOS file you selected: if not you have opportunity to browse for it.

Hit next and your new bios will be installed.

I quit using the "flashback" method after I "modified” my Bios
    This method did not change my “modified" bios and updated the BIOS correctly

Worth a try. Good luck

7. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    nexus76. I get an error saying : Error: BIOS does not support AFU, When I try and use AFUWINx64.exe, when I try and use AFUWIN.exe, I get error : Error: loading driver! it seems i'm stuck, i'm using windows 8 64

8. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #8 nexus76, Oct 2, 2013
    rightclick, start as admin!
    I'm pretty sure you'd be able to use the flashback function too but you'll have to rename the file as APTC022.ROM ( << cut the capsule).

9. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    You are amazing, I'll admit, I made a mistake, I did not Extract anything, and was trying to use the program in : amiflash\AMIBIOS\AFUWin\64\AFUWINx64.exe
    I got there in the end and found the program you was talking about, in : amiflash\Aptio\AfuWin\64\AfuWin64.zip\AfuWin64\AFUWINGUI.EXE

I've followed your steps up to
    • Click on "Flash" and watch the downgrade happen.

I don't think I can do the next steps as it looks very complex, If I sent you my backup afuwin.rom, will you be able to make me a cap file which i can flash, and keep all my mac address's and so on,

Thank you for your help so far, you are amazing :worthy:

10. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    not a cap, only a bin can be flashed, it's impossible to recalculate the capsule ; ) yes, please upload.

11. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #11 SignedAdam, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    did you get my private message, I sent the file to you, also, please could you tell me why my copy of windows 8 has deactivated after the point of :

• Click on "Flash" and watch the downgrade happen.

AFUWINGUI.EXE only seem to erase some of the bios, but not all of it, 4 blocks were untouched! I tried to do a flash back after, but still flash back fails to work, but then again, 4 blocks were untouched, so they could be the problem,

I just seem to be getting problem after problem, all i want to do is run windows 8 and windows 7 side by side :confused:

Thanks for your help

12. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #12 nexus76, Oct 3, 2013
  13. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #13 SignedAdam, Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    sorry I dont understand, thank you for trying, i think im going to just give up on the hole thing,

When I tried to flash a custom rom within the 0408 bios, it said security something again,

also the backup wont restore, with AFUWINGUI.EXE

when I followed the above, I got errors in the command line, something about Pmxdll32e.dll is missing from your computer, try re-installing

14. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #14 SignedAdam, Oct 3, 2013
    (OP)
    As the command line said there was missing files, i went out to the link you supplyed, and downloaded FTK (Flash ToolKit) for Windows: 0.9.6.1 from "forums DOT overclockers DOT ru/viewtopic.php?p=9776728#p977672" I replaced all the the files in the folder you supplyed, and edited "rewrite.cmd" as :

c:\fpt.exe -rewrite -f P8Z77-V-PREMIUM-ASUS-2104-pmpatched.bin
    c:\fpt.exe -greset

I opened a command line as admin in windows 8 64, and entered

cd c:\
    rewrite.cmd

then the command line erased my bios, and flashed the rom, then restarted my computer, everything flashed and worked, and windows is back up and running :vertag:

please let me know if i should have done anything else, all i did was everything i said, do i need to use FD44Editor.exe ? or did you enter all the info in to the bios file for me

by the way, even after all the erasing and flashing, flashback still does not work, so now im putting it down as a hardware problem

15. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #15 nexus76, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  16. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    Thank you for your hard work :worthy: I flashed it, however when I entered windows 7 and opened SLIC_ToolKit_V3.2, it said my type is AMI BIOS /ACPI 2.0, should it not be 2.1 ??? the oemd/table all said alwareallienwre :eek:so it did flash, however I don't understand why its still acpi 2.0

17. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #17 nexus76, Oct 4, 2013
    ACPI 2.0 is a standard, it has nothing to do with SLIC version.
    You can post a Screenshot, so we can see what SLIC version but I suggest it's v2.1 as included by ReDwarf.
    What do you see at the "advanced" section, green lights?

acpi20.jpg

18. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #19 SignedAdam, Oct 4, 2013
    (OP)
    Capture.PNG

anyway everything seems to be working as it should, the only problem i had was installing the certificate, which made me think there was a problem, I was putting in (as it said in the How to Activate.txt) to the word!

slmgr -ilc ALIENWARE.xrm-ms

when it should say :

slmgr -ilc c:\ALIENWARE.xrm-ms

anyway everything is working now, However I would like some information from your self,

if i upgrade my bios, will i lose all the settings we have worked, so hard applying,

the next thing is, do you have any ideas on how i could fix the flashback port at the back of my computer, because its not flashing anything, just sits with the light on, NOT BLINKING

19. SignedAdam

SignedAdam MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2013
    #20 SignedAdam, Oct 4, 2013
    (OP)
    Just wanna add, you two ROCK! :worthy:best help, files, i've ever got for a bios, amazing users :offtopic: