P8Z77-V PRO - Security Validation Failed

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by matt.xx, Feb 25, 2013.

1. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    #1 matt.xx, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    P8Z77-V PRO - Security Validation Failed | Removing perm SLIC possible?

Hi All,

I've been trying to modify my bios with a permanent ASUS Slic 2.1, but I can't seem to write my BIOS back to the MB.

I backed up my BIOS with the Universal Backup tool, which gave me a .rom file. I then opened this in Phoenix and selected Original BIOS, Manufacturer, SLIC, DMI and pressed 'Go'.

I then tried to write this file using bupdater in DOS, but I kept getting a 'security validation failed' or 'security is missing', so I couldn't write it back.

I tried to use USB flashback, but the LED just flashed a few times before staying lit, which I assume means that it wasn't possible to update.

I did manage to use the Dynamic mode on a BIOS CAP file downloaded from the ASUS site and have activated successfully with that, but I'd really like to get a permanent activation working.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm not sure whether this is an issue relating to the fact that the bios backup is a .rom file, where my MB seems to take .cab files.

Much appreciated!

2. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    #3 matt.xx, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for your reply! I'll test this at some point when I'm back at home.

In the meantime, I was wondering whether you may be able to help me with the following:

1. How you managed to create a modded BIOS that would flash through ASUS EZ Flash. Every time I've created a modded bios with Phoenix tool, it fails the security validation in EZ Flash and Bupdater (through DOS), and I have to flash with USB Flashback.
    2. Which option you chose for a permanent mod? I see there are options such as 'Dynamic', 'DMI' and 'New Module' - I'm not sure of the difference between these
    3. Is it possible to remove a permanent BIOS mod if it's persistent through BIOS flashes? and if so, how?

Cheers

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    AFAIK, he is using manual New Module method by MMTool. andyp will implement this shortly.

4. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    Ah I see. I've done a little reading and it looks like this is because the bios structure has changed and the phoenix tools needs updating (as you say).

If the layout has changed, does this mean that flashing my modded BIOS (dynamic method) through USB Flashback was a bad idea? This was the only way I could bypass the security validation message.

Also, before I flash this file, I'd also be really interested to know whether the permanent mods are reversible (assuming module method is perm).

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yes they can be undone by backup method (flashback old bios backup). not sure if flashback would restore original without perm slic.

6. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    #7 matt.xx, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    (OP)
    Hmm.. now hear lies my problem. I don't think that I'm able to flash back my BIOS if it's backed up using the universal backup tool. Always get this damn security validation failed.

I might flash an unmodded BIOS to my system and produce a fresh backup and try to restore that straight away from DOS without any interaction with Phoenix tool.. perhaps that would work.

EDIT: Although, if my bios uses .CAP, this probably won't work :confused:

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    last i read the security verification in the file is bypassed .. first 1000h bits need to be deleted in a hexeditor.

8. matt.xx

matt.xx MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2013
    #9 matt.xx, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    (OP)
    Please could you advise on how I remove the first 1000h bits? The actual security message that shows in Bupdater.exe is something like 'No security information found in this file' (when trying to flash UBT ROM). The ROM is also slightly smaller in size than the CAP files downloaded from the Asus website.. I'm not sure whether this potentially means that it's missing some crucial data.

I've flashed a permanent mod to my BIOS which uses the new module method. I'd be interested to know how you go about removing the SLIC information as it's obviously persistent through BIOS flashes.