Packard Bell TJ71 black screen after BIOS update.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by MichalK86, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    everything was working fine before the update, laptop has switched itself off after completing an update and black screen appeared. I cant do anything at all. ive seen few posts how to fix the problem on different laptops but i am not 100% sure if it will work on mines. I decided to post here just to be sure everything will work fine.

Can anyone help with the problem? if so could you please post step by step instructions how to fix it?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    in the DOS folder.. crisdisk
    WIN:orb: and B keys to begin recovery mode. (blank screen while it does recovery for a few minutes)
    if it dont work u can use the .rom to flash with USB SPI programmer[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I'm novice in this subject. So could you please explain in detail what I suppose to do with downloaded file? Should I copy and paste it onto the laptops hdd or place it on USB stick.
    When accessing recovery mood does the laptop needs to be connected to the charger or only battery power will be enough?

Thanks

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    right click CRIDISK.bat and run as admin , this will create USB recovery .. might need USB floppy but i doubt it.
    yes power and battery needed. (sometimes with no battery on some recoveries)

5. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    recovery methods you described didnt work for me ... does this mean i need to reprogram bios using USB SPI programmer? can i change the chip instead? i dont have the programmer and experience in doing so. Or maybe is there anything else i could try?

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #6 LatinMcG, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    if u created crisdisk in xp (or hirensbootcd.org v 15. miniXP) it should works
    as i believe 7 and vista break the special boot sector then i would say the bootblock recovery is failing.

yes u can likely use a "SOiC8 test clip" (best are POMONA or 3M brand. also use a BIG rubber band to hold it down against board.)
    and "EN25T80 USB programmer" .. or might have to use hot air to unsolder it and program it on adapter board for usb programmer.
    dont use the .WPH to flash. use the other file a lil bit smaller.

or buy a pre programmed chip on ebay

"search on ebay" what i used the "quotes" on

by the way the EN25T80 programmer software is crap (u have to detect chip and backup in case of problems).. the best and easiest for me was "EZP2010"

7. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    i will try to create the recovery disc once again using hirenboot.

as i said i would prefer to replace the cheap rather than program it ... i donta have the knowledge skills or equipment :)

i will let you know how did i get on. thanks

just to sum everything up.

i need to create recovery disc on pendrive using hirenboot (win 7 created the disc by placing 3 files on the pendrive). then switch the laptop off put the pendrive in, hold windows key + B key together, put the AC adapter, press the power button while wholding the keys pressed.

and after a while the black screen should dissapear ?

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    the crisdisk should be ran 2 times just in case.

9. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    #9 MichalK86, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    (OP)
    I ve tried to create the disc in hiren boot... unfortunately failed, sysytem not opening the files at all... just spinning clock and thats it, ive tried on mini xp as well but system seeing the pendrive with letter D instead of A and i have no idea why but when i tried to change the letter it doesnt see the pendrive in disc management :( i think im going to replace the chip... do i have to use exactly the same chip? or can i use a different one ?

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    in disk management u can change drive letter assignment.

best to use same chip for future bios updates to not fail.

11. MichalK86

MichalK86 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2013
    success

instead of creating the recovery discs i simply changed the bios chip. works perfectly... thanks for all your help.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #12 LatinMcG, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    now if u ever get a SPI USB Programmer. u can flash the broken chip with a backup of your good one and have a spare.. for future bios issue again.

glad it was that simple.

i just recovered a older style plcc32 that i flashed wrong version..
    i had a spare computer with a socket for same type of bios chip and i hotswapped bios chip while in device boot menu then booted usb dos to flash proper version.. all good here.