Paint.net vs Adobe Photoshop

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Matrix Leader, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    I have been using Paint.net and find it to be a good image editing program.

I have used Adobe Photoshop as well and would like to get the professionals' opinions regarding to which program is better and why?

Maybe Photoshop might be better since it has been out on the market for ages, but is it really worth the extra cash? How is it better if it is? What can I do in Photoshop that I can't do in Pain.net?

Finally, are there any cool guides for Paint.net for creating logos or adding effects like there are for Photoshop?

kthxbye

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coolwop

coolwop MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2010
    I'll give Paint.net a try and I'll let you know. :)

3. Ni3am

Ni3am MDL Novice

May 15, 2010
    The content aware feature in cs5 is amazing and exclusive to Ps and that alone adds 5 stars for adobe but there are other things like the healing brush and the user interface that everyone trys to emulate... plus its more refined and the amount of tutorials and resources available make it an easy choice over its competition. Ive gotta say im by no means am a graphics professional and i personally use and prefer the gimp for my graphics needs only because i used for quite some time.. but i do think adobes product is more matured and geared towards graphics pro's and is an all around better product then anything on the market.

4. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks for your opinion ni3am

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coolwop

coolwop MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2010
    I agree. The content aware fill feature in CS5 is really really amazing. Somewhere I read that TheGIMP had a similar feature (through a plug-in). So I tried it but the resutls were very lousy, despite what is said on some anti-photoshop blog...:)
    Generally I don't like theGIMP but I believe it's just a matter of being used to it or not.

I'm not a professional but I work extensively with Photoshop since version 3. Personally I think that the current version of Phosotshop can be quite confusing for someone who's just starting. But in the long run PS has endless possibilities, also because you can do the same thing in so many different ways (and there are a lot resources, like video-tutorials, web pages, etc.). Plus it can also be scripted.

As far as I saw Paint.net is more "essential" and more suitable for "everyday" needs because it combines an easy-to-use user interface with some powerful features common to theGIMP or PS. Plus, it's FREE...

Anyway, I will return with other comments.