Palemoon

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Is there a tool to migrate from Quantum to Palemoon?
    What does it do, and what can it not do?

Thanks

2. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    No there isn't. You'll have to export bookmarks, passwords etc from Quantum and import into PM

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  4. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I never had top add code like that, where can I learn that? Although I cannot imagine that there is a safe way to do it: Is it possible to copy the saved passwords from Firefox?

Otherwise. I have been pleasantly surprised by palemoon... so far.
    Streaming f.e. is a desaster on Firefox, works a lot better on Palemoon.

Fast Dial however does not really work .... :oops:

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    paste "caa:addon/add-to-search-bar" (without the " ") in your address bar in pale moon once you've installed the classic archive addon.

or search for Add to Search Bar, leave out the 2.9.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank You.... but:

"Pale Moon doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (caa) isn't associated with any program."

But the real problem is that I cannot get IDM to work.... Although Palemoon is added to the browser list, the IDM integration procedure given by them does not work. I sent them a mail, and usually they are good at support....

8. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
  9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    PM is at 28.2.2 now.

10. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I'm a little confused. Did you install CAA into PM? If you downloaded the "ca-archive-1.2.2.xpi"
    then drag the file into any PM window to get the install dialog. Once installed there should be a button on the toolbars and a link in "Menu>Tools" to open the archive in a tab.

I use DownThemAll! 3.0.8 for my downloading.

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No, I did NOT intall it into PM.

WhenI do as you wrote and put caa:addon/add-to-search-barinto the search bar of palemoon, then I get this pop up:

The address wasn’t understood

Pale Moon doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (caa) isn't associated with any program.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    For the caa: URLs to work, you MUST install the CAA extension into Pale Moon, as these addresses point to resources the CAA extension provides..

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, but the forist might have mentioned that ... These are reasons why people who use Firefox refuse to try out other browsers. The kind of help you get makes it such an enormous waste of time. Almost each and every time you you try! You try, and you search, and you check,. because you assume that advice is correct....
    So... Thank you... I found a few things I use PM for, the rest stays with Ff esr

14. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    The CAA extension is essentially a collection of all the old XUL-based extensions. Once it is installed, any of the legacy extensions can be installed without the need to rely on online resources. The caa: addresses are only shortcuts to the internal update archive.

Of course, the latest Fx versions cannot use XUL-based extensions anymore, so the CAA extension is not for them.