Partioning New Laptop Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by The A-Man, Mar 2, 2009.

1. The A-Man

The A-Man MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    First Timer! I have a brand new laptop hard drive that I want to partition. As I understand it, I can partition drive, (200/50), and reinstall my laptop OS, files etc. etc. on first partition. Than install Windows XP on second partition for use with various diagnostic tools and files I use for repairing and troubleshooting customer equipment? Does this sound right? And if so, how do I go about formating and partitioning?

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Very easy to do but first . . .

I would want to know laptop mfr and laptop OS (XP, Vista). Not wanting to guess, do I assume you want to put the laptop OS on a 200GB partition and the XP on a 50GB?

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The A-Man

The A-Man MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    Partition Instsallation

Thanks for responce, I have Dell Latitude D520 with OS Win XP. I work in X-Ray and just got service call. It's around 8am where I am at. Is this forum outside the USA? I will be back online later today.
    The A-Man

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Dual Boot XP and XP

Without intending to be cute (I have too many wrinkles) I would say this forum is wherever you are at any given moment and enjoys world-wide membership. Thus, depending on your time zone, replies to your post could be made while you are sleeping. I am Mountain Time, (New Mexico, US; GMT-7). Enjoy your stay.

XP on XP

Start the XP install disc and when shown the unallocated HDD space (your HDD capacity) elect to create a partition. Next you will specify, in MB, the size of the partition. Then install XP as usual.

Once XP is installed, restart the XP install process. You should see your first installation installed on "partition 1" or whatever volume name you gave it if you did so. You will also see the remaining unallocated HDD space. Highlight it and hit <ENTER> to start the second installation. To avoid confusion that I will explain next, I would create installation directories with unique names.

Once both installations are installed, after the BIOS POST, but before Winboot, you will be given a DOS screen showing your installations with a 30 second delay before one is launched by default. At this point you can choose which to boot - which is why distinct directory names are helpful. Once the system boots, navigate to C:\ where you will find a <boot.ini> file. Boot.ini is the XP boot loader (generates/launches your boot options). To edit this file, right-click it and select <PROPERTIES>. At the bottom of the properties window, if the read-only attribute is checked, uncheck it. Then double click the file and edit it as desired.

Usually the second entry will read <TIMEOUT=30>, i.e., the default 30-second delay before the default installation is launched. I reset mine to 5 seconds; reset or leave yours as you wish.

The next entry is <DEFAULT=> - the installation that will be launched by default. With single HDD architecture, your entry will point to the one HDD (disk 0) and the partition where the default installation is located [will read <partition 1 or 2 (depending on which is default)\directory name>, where directory name=one or the other unique directory names you chose to give your installations. The entry may also include "fastdetect/noexecute options which you can ignore.

The next entries will point to the installations. They will be identical except that one will point to partition 1, the other to partition 2, and each will have its unique directory name. If you want to change the default installation launched, edit the <DEFAULT> entry to point to the desired partition and change the directory name to its unique name.

You should be good to go.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. The A-Man

The A-Man MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    Partitioning New Laptop Hard Drive

Hello HMonk, I appreciate your time on this matter ands will detail what I am thinking on this little project. I am currently using 22GB on 80GB drive. I want to partition my 250GB new HD into three sections. I used "Safety Drill" on "Maxtor Onetouch Mini" to copy my current HD. I now want to partition new HD: 200/30/20GB. First partition for main use, second for uploading current HD contents and third partition for "service tools". The reason for this project is as follows: I am now responsible for servicing Kodak Dry Laser Printers used in Hospital Radiology Departments. I took week long class and in order to perform diagnostics, I can only get into "service tools" using Microsoft IE5 or IE6 web browser. This tool is used in conjunction with two other Kodak programs, "Kodak web l;ink 2.0" and "kodak Secure link". I tried to remove IE7 from my laoptop and install IE6 but exe. program keeps teling me newer version has been installed and won't go any further.Since this Laptop was given to me company, it has "stuff" installed by previuos user. I own my own copy of XP Pro and want to install with IE6 so I can service printers. This way I can use fresh install on first partition with IE7 and or or other browsers going forward, second to access what I have now and third partition with IE6 for "service work". I have other software tools that I would like to instal on third partition as well. Does this sound about right? Do yu suggest re-instaling Dell software to first section or do you think my XP Pro would be a better choice? Thanks again for your help in this matter and I appreciate you letting me tap a bit of your know how!!
    The A-Man

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #6 HMonk, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. The A-Man

The A-Man MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2009
    Partitioning New Laptop Hard drive

Thanks for the information! I also use my IE7 (used to be 8) for XP and Mozilla FF for everything else. I see your point in keeping main OS/programs on 40GB primary partition. I'm thinking a better course of action might be a 50/50/200. I will use IE6 and FF combo. I did not notice any differance from IE6 to IE7 and I agree with sticking with 6. I think I have enough information to be dangerous so I will give this project a shot and see how it goes. I appreciate your time and will get back at you after I finish. I think I am going to want your input in the backup/protocol areas.Thanks Again
    The A-Man

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #8 HMonk, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    Anytime

Glad to help.

By the way, your plan to create 50/50/200 partitions on a 250GB disk is awesome! ;)

Monk