Partition Help

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adi2, Jul 15, 2017.

1. adi2

adi2 MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro upgraded from Windows 8.1 SL.
    I check Disk Management today and there are several partition I don't know about. 'This PC' shows only 2 partition C: and D: I know about these 2 partitions.
    When I Google about EFI System Partition all results are related to "How to delete EFI partition" but I want to know what these partition actually are for.
    There are 2 recovery partitions, which is also confusing. Also number given to these partition are not serially like you can see in screenshot under volume they are 1,2,3,7, Why like this?:confused: Each are also showing 100% free space.

Partitions.png

Can anyone please explain what other partitions are for? I don't need depth explanation just a little about all partition which can be easily understandable. Please anyone help this Novice.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Partition 1: Winre
    Partition 2: EFI? (it is for EFI but dunno what it exactly is)
    Partition 3: OEM? (This one i always see after upgrading to 10 but again dunno what it exactly is)
    Partition 7: Old 8.1 SL Recovery Partition

You could boot into winpe and see what the content is.

3. adi2

adi2 MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    Thanks for quick reply Enthousiast.
    Partition 1 is Winre does is means Windows Recovery?
    Partition 7 is 8.1 recovery. Can i delete this one?
    What is Winpe and how can i reboot into it?

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ adi2 - First of all: DO NOT delete the EFI System Partition(ESP)! This partition contains all the files needed to boot the Windows operating system. I have no idea who in their right mind would offer the kind of advice you've found in your Google searches. In fact, you shouldn't delete any of these partitions until you're 100% certain of their content and their purpose.

The reason you see two partitions (1 and 7) identified as "Recovery" is this: The first partition contains WinRE, which is the Windows Recovery Environment. This is the program that manages Windows Recovery. The second partition at the end of the disk contains a compressed OEM recovery image.

The third partition labelled "OEM" probably contains diagnostic tools and other utilities supplied by the manufacturer. This is common on a lot of Dell and Acer products.

I have a good idea why the last partition is identified as partition number 7. The Windows Disk Management console does not display the Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR), which is an unformatted partition located in between the EFI System Partition and the Windows C:\ system partition. It's purpose is to reserve space on the disk if you ever decide to enable Bitlocker. Don't confuse it with the 1000MB OEM partition you see displayed, it is entirely separate and hidden from view. So to explain: The first three partitions you see are identified as 1 through 3. The hidden MSR partition would be number 4. The C:\ and D:\ partitions are number 5 and 6 respectively, but this isn't shown since they are already identified using drive letters, not numbers. And the last partition would be number 7.

My only advice is this: If you can verify that the second recovery partition (#7) contains a recovery image for Windows 8.1, and if you 'never, ever, ever' have any intention of re-installing Windows 8.1, then this would be the only partition that would be safe to delete. Leave everything else alone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. adi2

adi2 MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    :worthy: John Sutherland, Thank you so much. Absolutely the kind of explanation I was looking for.
    I wasn't going to delete any partition because I was never sure what they contains.
    Can you please tell how can I see contents inside these partitions because all are 100% free? At least tell me please why all are 100% free if it contains something inside?
    Also in 2nd post by Enthousiast he suggested to boot in Winpe to see contents.
    Are Winre and Winpe is same? If not then what is Winpe & how to boot into it?
    Sorry for series of noobish questions.

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. adi2

adi2 MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    I won't :D until I learn or know what I can do. Thank you very much for helping me.