partition problems... need help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by reverendcolin, Jun 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. reverendcolin

reverendcolin MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2010
    First, I just upgraded to win7 from vista on this system.
    My E:(partition is 10GB)
    I need to expand my E: drive (partition) I've tried to use the system disk manager but can't expand with what I've taken from the C: drive (partition) I then tried with Partition Wizard but still can't get the E: partition to accept the extra volume.
    Any suggestions?
    I'd hate to reload win7

2. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Try EASUS Partition Manager... I've had the same problem as you, until I used this software. It might take a while though, and it's not freeware... But I believe you can deal with this problem. Just PM me if you can't.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Partition Wizard, should be able to do it. i know it worked for me.

4. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Just giving him an alternative, since he stated partition wizard didn't work for him.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    Just to be sure: make sure you expand 'to the right' of E: Otherwise you'll have to move the partition to the left first. ;)

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    When all else fails, and moving from left to right gets confusing.... use Acronis Disk Director. Noobies use an I recommend it to all customers in my Business Data Base.
    So easy a CaveMan can do it.

7. reverendcolin

reverendcolin MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2010
    I've installed EASUS Partition Manager but it's not helping. I can shrink the C: partition but can't adde the volume to the D: Just isn't there. I can add it back to the C:.
    I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but ....can't figure what it is.

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Acronis Disk Director - so easy a caveman can do it.....

9. reverendcolin

reverendcolin MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2010
    I'll give it a try.... (Acronis)

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    They all use the same methods as reverendcolin said

11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I fully understand "they all use the same methods" but some work and others do not. The more easier the program works and the more completions is what ALL OF US WANT.
    My reason of mentioning Acronis, I have several program that I offer to 100% Noobies on computer... and when i simply say " do what ever you can and Ill fix the Screwup. strange
    99.99% of the time - a complete greenie can use Acronis do everything they need to do an it works.... I can say that about "NO OTHER PARTITION Manager PROGRAM".
    I also use it on my master HDD and have no ill effects. Yes, I have 100% FULL Image backups before I play with or have NOOBIES play with.. that is why I carry portable HDDs for BKUPS.

12. reverendcolin

reverendcolin MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2010
    Any suggestions?

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes how about some screen shots of current state from whatever partitioning software you are now using.

14. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ya. Screenshots. And tell me, is the free space in a partition? Or unallocated? If it's a partition, what type is it?

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What do you mean some work and others don't they all work it is just users that can't always use them properly and believe me acronis diskdirector can easily screw things up in the wrong hands considering a windows 7 version 11.0.0.216 is not long released last version before that wouldn't even install on windows 7 that was deliberate on acronis part.

16. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    He probably may have another partition in the way - he's talking about C:, D: and E: partitions, and he needs to shrink one partition, move the second (D: ) so the free space is adjacent to the partition he wants to expand then add the free space to the third (E: ) partition - but I could be wrong.

17. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I use windows own program diskpart you should be able to expand the volume to the size you want

Warning = If you have not used to or are unsure of using dos commands then stop what you are doing & take the advice of the others.

or use partition magic 8 work's a treat on windows for resizing HDD's

hope that that help's

18. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    If you or anyone else is having issues with this then try Paragon Partition Manager Advanced Recovery CD. It is fully bootable so you don't use it in windows and it lets you: create partitions, delete partitions, format partitions, change partitions, check drive errors, more. It is more geared for advanced users from what I have seen but it is a really nice program if you know what you are doing.

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    partition magic 8 is ancient and outdated now wouldn't trust it.

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ sam3971, i already posted link to partition wizard home edition it is Free and very easy to use it can you can also make bootable cd to load it or you can download the iso version from its home page if you don't even want to install it.